walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up the one I've been looking at every day

Up the one I've been looking at every day

Postby Tasha87 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:07 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bha'ach Àrd

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard

Date walked: 28/12/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I remember why I decided to move into this house... The peace, quiet and a grand view over some good looking hills from the back. It's about time I get up there!

I've been saving this walk for a perfect winter day and my wish was granted :clap: It was only a short drive to Glen Strathfarrar carpark but what a lovely one; the sun was just coming out and coloured the sky in all shades of orange. And what a moment of awe when I caught the first sight of Beinn a'Bha'ach Ard and friends - their white slopes were almost shining in front of a deep blue background! Too bad I missed the moment to take a photo.

I've cycled on the quiet Glen Strathfarrar road in late autumn and it was great to experience its first part on foot in white winter conditions. The track up from Culligran power station was also very enjoyable and peaceful. I was studying animal footprints in snow and said hello to some tame deer.

The track turned straight uphill. The high clouds didn't spoil the views towards the West and pure white Carn Ban, south to Carn Gorm and the familiar interesting rocky outcrops on the summit of Sgorr na Diollaid. But what I also wanted to see was a view over Beauly firth and my home so it was time to leave the track and go straight uphill :)

The underground was still quite soggy, covered in thick heather and another thick layer of fresh soft snow which turned the ascent into a real workout. It took longer than I thought to make it up the first lump of Cnoc an Duine, however, the views were as rewarding as expected, especially as the sky started clearing. I then had to drop down, go over another lump and then finally steep up to Beinn a'Bha'ach Ard. The wind blown snow was really quite deep so I knew I'll sleep well tonight :wink:

The cold summit was fantastic with excellent views in all directions! The icy cairn was really scenic so I took time for photos and a quick bite of my Christmas leftovers.
I was pleased to be looking down from the hill I've been admiring all this time from home and Inverness.

I decided to kind of retrace my steps. I found a different steep slope to run down from the summit, what joy! Well, until I reached the boggy ground which was just ever so slightly easier on the downhill. But it meant walking into fantastic view, especially when the misty clouds started forming in the glen whereas the sky was clear blue and the hills pure white.

I felt like being in a different world so even reaching the quiet road felt like coming back to civilisation.

I couldn't have asked for a better day and more mindful experience on the hill that I've been looking at and admiring every single (clear) day! This is exactly what crossed my mind today as I was looking at Beinn a'Bha'ach Ard and its reflection in Beauly firth on a lunchtime walk to Clachnaharry sea lock in Inverness. Hooray! :D
Attachments
IMG_20201228_102007.jpg
Pleasant walk up the track
DSC01295.JPG
Thick heather, deep snow and fabulous views
IMG_20201228_114253.jpg
Pure white on the other side of Neaty burn
IMG_20201228_115006.jpg
IMG_20201228_115139.jpg
Looking home
IMG_20201228_115013.jpg
Looking forward to get up there
IMG_20201228_123701.jpg
Stupendous!!
DSC01313.JPG
Just fellow animals and myself up there today
DSC01310.JPG
Beautiful misty glen
DSC01312.JPG
Sgorr na Diollaid in the background
IMG_20210106_133609.jpg
Just over a week later from Inverness - proud to know I've been up there!
Tasha87
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:14
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Re: Up the one I've been looking at every day

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Nice to see our local hill in winter outfit. We had done it several times using different variations of the Strathfarrar approach. Now I feel tempted to go back! Beinn a'Bha'ach Ard is definitely local enough to justify the drive from Beauly with current restrictions. Carn Gorm just down the road is also a good winter hill if you haven't climbed it yet :D

Cheers
Black Panther
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Up the one I've been looking at every day

Postby Tasha87 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 am

Hi Black Panther,
I believe I was following the advice from your previous report of this gorgeous hill :wink:
I've had my eyes on Carn Gorm, thanks for the recommendation. Looks beautiful in white.

How lucky are we in the Highlands? :)

Thanks to everyone for reading and liking :wink:
Tasha87
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:14
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland