walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh , Glencoe.

Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh , Glencoe.

Postby steven65 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 04/03/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I`d taken a holiday from work for today Fri 4 /3 & had decided to do something with my friend Steven ,my usual walking mate. Glencoe & The "wee " Buachaille was the choice.
MWIS were more or les spot on & the weather turned out to be quite good :)
Off from home at 545am - with trusty Oskar in tow -i picked Steven up in Tillicoultry at 6am and off we went.
En route , north of Callander we passed a lot of deer , quite low on the hills always a lovely thing to see.
We stopped at the Green Wellie to let Oskar stretch his 4 feet & have a pee.
Luckily / unluckily ??? the coffee shop/take away place didn`t open till 8am :o It was only 7.30 -as i was driving Steven was on the coffee & bacon butty`s , so he saved a small fortune there ! :(
But my luck was in , the wee roll van up on the A82 past Loch Tulla was open & ready for buisness-result.
After a roll & a cuppa we were off , arrived at the car park area & were off & away at 8.30 am. There was quite a lot of cloud which cleared through now & again ,giving tempting glimpses of the surrounding hills :)
The (newish?) path underfoot was great & there wasn`t a lot of water run off at all en-route. I didn`t appreciate at all how steep it was/seemed untill coming back down , when it jarred my knees a wee bit - not like me :o
We reached Mam Buidhe on the ridge in 1hr 10 mins , a very quick time - for me ! ( i thought )
Then up towards Stob Coire Raineach where we took some fotos & had a quick drink before turning around.
Returning down via the bealach we chatted to a guy on his own heading up to S.C.R , we met him again later as we decended Stob Dubh & he was making his way up.
I enjoyed the walk to Stob Dubh very much , the conditions were quite good , only at 1 point did we need to cross a snow section - Steven went 1st kicking steps in the softish snow - no real ice problems here at all , coming back down we glissaded down this for 25 yards or so - my 1st time doing this & it was great , very exciting - with my new ice axe- which i`d bought the previous day - i`d had to return the one i`d had "on long term loan" from a friend. I had crampons with me (also borrowed from a mate :lol: ) but they weren`t required.
At Stob Dubh we had our piece & coffee - well earned - & shared our summitting whisky with a guy who had come up from Dalness on the Glen Etive side. Break over we made our way down , again taking fotos en-route.
Back at the car at 1.30pm-5 hours all in including 1 short & 1 long break,i was chuffed to bits with the time taken :D
A wee stop at the Kings House for a refreshing pint
A trully wonderfull day out , i thoroughly enjoyed it , as usual Oskar did too.

Bealach at top of Mam Buidhe before climb to Stob Coire Raineach
cloud clearing to reveal view down into the glen
1 for the ladies ! Steven posing with the Big Buachaille behind him :lol:
nice foto towards Stob Dubh
Stob dubh summit looking back along ridge towards SCR
2 guys coming along towards Stob Dubh
looking back towards Stob Dubh summitt & 1 of the guys nearly there
a last look back at Stob Dubh
Steven merrily persued by Oskar glissading down a snow section - good stuff !!!!
Stob Coire Raineach nearly throwing off its misty halo & showing all to us on way down
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh , Glencoe.

Postby yokehead » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Looks like you had a good day on this fine mountain, and a great chance to try out the new ice axe with a glissade! 8) I really enjoyed my jaunt up here too.

Amazed there's so little snow about, a good dump is needed. :)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Re: Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh , Glencoe.

Postby pigeon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Good report and pics,think i'll head up there next weekend :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland