walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumochter Circuit from Balsporran

Drumochter Circuit from Balsporran

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 05/03/2011

Time taken: 5.8 hours

Distance: 23.6 km

Ascent: 1213m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's a short and easy ascent from Balsporran Cottages (if a little boggy) to the summit of Geal Charn which just scrapes Munro Status... Not much to remark about this ascent; the views aren't great, but you get the benefit of a 420 metre headstart thanks to the height of the Drumochter Pass.

Drumochter 1.jpg

It started off dry but cloudy, and we (craigee) joined me for this one with Rocco (Whiskey's boyfriend while she was alive) and we were grateful for the good ol satmap which made progress quick and navigation easy between Geal Charn and A' Mharconaich

Drumochter 2.jpg

Along the ridge to Beinn Udlamain - perfect dog walking territory; high grassy wide ridges where Rocco was free to run about; and finally, if only briefly the clouds cleared...

Drumochter 3.jpg

We'd reached Munro 4 of the day (Sgairneach Mhor) and number 79 for me (20 for craigee) well inside four hours... Not sure why walkhighlands has these as two separate walks; I wouldn't dream of doing these hills in two outings except maybe in winter when deep snow could make it too long for a days walk. Nonetheless, a walk worth adding I think given most people seem to take on all four.

I can highly recommend roast beef with horseradish sauce - how good does that taste in the hills after 14 km or so!

Drumochter 4.jpg

Rocco having a spot of grub; and craigee on the summit of Sgairneach Mhor

Drumochter 5.jpg

Rocco being good; well hoping for some beef anyway... Gorgeous Black Labrador.. I love seeing dogs free to run about in the mountains :)

Drumochter 6.jpg

We fairly flew back to to Drumochter finding some long snow patches to motor down being preferable to bog or deep heather and the 4 km walk back to Balsporran beckoned... One last look back at Sgairneach Mhor on the right of this picture

Drumochter 7.jpg

On the way back to Balsporran; looking up to the summit of A' Mharconaich (I think)

Drumochter 8.jpg

And back at Balsporran Cottages... A lot of litter on / by the path back which was a shame, people obviously feeling the need to throw coke cans and the like out of car windows I presume; I don't think it likely this is 'walker' behaviour. This route nearly coined the circuit of death given in this stretch we saw a dead deer, buzzard, and mountain hare.

So that's me done with the Drumochter Hills; I'm extremely unlikely to climb them again; although I was disappointed today not to be able to see across to Ben Alder which this route had promised but the weather gods meant it wasn't to be!

Nevermind; onwards; I'll go see Ben Alder directly sometime...

Drumochter 9.jpg

The stats, just under six hours for the 23.6 km...

Drumochter 10.jpg

And the route...

2011 - 03 - 05 - Drumochter Circuit.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Drumochter Circuit from Balsporran

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Great report as always Andrew, you made good time too.

Can't believe you took a jar of horseradish with you, most of us are out there weighing everything, trying to lighten the load and here's you with a jar of horseradish in the bag :lol:

Good to see Rocco getting a bite at the summit and I suspect (with that face) he got some beef too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alan S » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Good report there Andrew 8)
andrewdoggett wrote:Not sure why walkhighlands has these as two separate walks; I wouldn't dream of doing these hills in two outings except maybe in winter when deep snow

:lol: I did Geal charn and A' Mharconaich last saturday but i was struggling for time as the wife was on night shift and didnt want to take the chance being late,but wont mind a return as i enjoyed it here :)
andrewdoggett wrote:I was disappointed today not to be able to see across to Ben Alder

Hope you dont mind me adding a pic but i got a half decent view last week :D
Attachments
Drumochter 6.JPG
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:27 pm

The satmap time never lies,but when I saw how fast you were round this four I had to do a double take :lol: :lol: took me that long to do only the first two :(
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 am

Hope you dont mind me adding a pic but i got a half decent view last week

Not at all; thanks; this was the view I was hoping to see :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland