walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Super Day in Kintail - Brothers Ridge

Super Day in Kintail - Brothers Ridge

Postby Grisu » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Route description: Brothers Ridge - Sgùrr a Bhealaich Dheirg

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Meadhoin, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg

Date walked: 06/08/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 3129m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my two adventures in Torridon (see if you like: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=102055 and https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=102231) I have changed place from Aultbea to Achintraid where I had booked a little cottage. But on my arrival the cottage was already occupied by a couple :shock: and the man was very unfriendly, told me to go to the Landlady who lived next door.
The Landlady was quite shocked when I knocked at her door. Obviously she didn't expect me to come due to corona although I got repeated confirmation and all information needed to get access to the cottage and again the day before from the agent. :crazy:
To make a long story short: For this night I was accomodated in the Bothy of the Attadale Garden Estate thanks to the very kind and helpful Lady of the Estate. But the Bothy was a Bothy and not the place I wanted to spend a week of my precious holidays and of course everything was fully booked, no cottages available.
So I made this clear the next morning and finally moved into a private home of friends of the Landlady with exclusive views over Loch Kishorn to the mountains on the far side.
This was a nice scenery to contemplate while clouds, heavy showers and wafts of mist were passing by in the morning - so far a nice compensation for the discussion and inconveniences I had on my arrival and for some moody hours when outdoor activities had not been top on my list.
Changing views550.jpg
Loch Kishorn

The next days I was waiting for THE DAY to go for my next walk. But it was not before the fifth day that the weatherforecast seemed to be reliable enough.
Meanwhile I was exploring the area on my bike the first day. The second day I drove over to Skye, cycled from the bridge to Luib and had some Fish&Chips at the shore of Harrapool on my way back. The next day was only storm and rain so instead of aa bike ride around the Applecross Peninsula I finally decided to take my car.
IMG_0862 Highlads Cows php690.jpg
The only fellowers I met on my way to Applecross.

IMG_0872 Lager php 690.jpg
The Applecross Inn was fully booked and it was amazing to see so many folks after my lonely drive along the coast. So I had a lager outside and later some Fish&Chips at moody Applecross Bay

20200804_181847 Bealach na Ba Viewpoint php690.jpg
The famous Viewpoint on Applecross Peninsula: Bealach na Ba - as you can see, you see nothing :-)))

The fourth day I only left for some Fish&Chips in the evenign which I could eat at the shore of Lochcarron after the rain and the wind has finally seized. Luckily it never got really cold. May be I should change the headline: biting my time with Fish&Chips at the shores these kind of suppers became a sort of traditon this summer actually :D .
IMG_0917 php690.jpg
Fish&Chips at Lochcarron

Waiting for THE DAY I was finally rewarded. I definitely wanted this walk not to be spoiled by changing weather. I know, being in Scotland this is quite an ambitious project, but since I have discovered the ridge walks in Kintail I only saw myself walking in sunshine. And so my dream became true :D
It was already a perfcet morning and again I was humming the tunes of the song: What a difference a day makes ...
Loch Kishorn550.jpg
After a cloudy evening over Loch Kishorn the day before the morning sun was breaking through the clouds.

IMG_0946 php690.jpg
Reflections on Lochcarron

It was such a lovely morning that I didn't want to rush. So I took my time and stopped by at Eilean Donan Castle - it would have been a shame to have missed this scenery!
IMG_0950 php690.jpg
Refections of Eilean Donan Castle on a peaceful sunny morning

Finally I reached Cluanie Inn where I locked my bike and had a cappucciono before I set off to find the parking.
20200806_113742690.jpg
locked my bike at a sign

20200806_113718690.jpg
To find an open place in these crazy covid-times was something very special!

Finding the parking turned out to become a little challenge. According to the description it looks as if there is only one parking but there are so many parkings and laybys. After some u-turns which had not been easy on this busy road I finally managed. At the parking I met a man who was preparing for the Five Sisters.
Together we were looking to find the path up the steep steep slopes which had been very muddy in parts. At one point we separated and soon I lost track. :crazy: :crazy: Well then, why not go cross country upwards for a change?
It was hard work because the steepness was relentless. but the views back down the Glen and over to the south side had been very impressive.
IMG_0954 php690.jpg
The steep slopes and views towards the Mountains of the south side of Glen Shiel

Looking on my garmin record it looks very stupid that I have lost the track which - as usual - was not far away from where I was walking. However, I finally managed and reached the ridge not too far away from the cairn which marks the Bealach an Làpain.
Ascent Strava.png
I never understand how I can miss the path so close

20200806_135433690.jpg

Once up the ridge there was no more confusion, just following the ridge - I was safe :wink:
Half way up to Saileag I met a little party of young people coming down. The have started at the Cluanie Inn and were heading for the parking where they have arranged a lift back to Edinburgh. Apart from a little chat with a couple which I met at Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg I was on my own for the whole day. Unbelievable considering the weather!
At the cairn of Saileag I found a canon camera and a nice case and it was clear that this belonged to one of the young people I just have met. I wasn't sure what to do. Would they realize the loss while they were going down or at the parking? Would they come back? Shall I leave it or take it with me? I finally decided to take it with me and to leave a note at the Cluanie Inn and on Walkhighlands which turned out to be the best decision. A day after I have made my post in the lost and found forum I got an excited reply. I was very happy that I could return the camera and the case to its owner some days later when I had the chance to post it at the office in Ullapool.
IMG_0963 php 500kb.jpg
Cairn at Saileag, may be you spot the small camera and the case, camouflaged by the stones.

IMG_0962 php690.jpg
Outlook towards my next walk: The Five Sisters

IMG_0964 php690.jpg
View down River Croe and Gleann Lichd

Following the undulating ridge it was sheer pleasure and I hope the pictures give a little impression of this beautiful day!
IMG_0970 php690.jpg
On my way to Sgùrr a Bealaich Dheirg

IMG_0978 php690.jpg
my "Cliffhanger-Pic" next to the cairn

IMG_0979 php690.jpg
the impressive cairn of Sgùrr a Bhealaich Dheirg

IMG_0987 php690.jpg
continuing my walk I passed this little Lochan and having some fun with my only compainion, the shaddow - thanks to the sun :-)))

IMG_0989 php690.jpg
looking back to Sgùrr a Bhealaich Dheirg

IMG_0993690.jpg
Cairn at Aonach Meadhoin

IMG_0998 php690.jpg
mighty Ben Nevis in the background

IMG_1013 php690.jpg
last summit: Sgùrr an Fhuarail and Loch Cluanie behind

IMG_1015 php690.jpg
At the end of my walk dragons came out to play and dance

Finally I got in trouble again. :think: :think: Which way to go?
Shal I turn right at this cairn or shall I go further ahead to the trigpoint in the distance? The description was not very helpful to me a this point.
IMG_1020 php690.jpg
Which way?

I first tried the path leading down from the cairn but then it didn't convince me because I was missing the steep ground to my left - according to the description, so I returned and went to the trigpoint following another path leading me directly to the Cluanie Inn which was a loooooong way down, not so steep as the ascent but very boggy in parts further down.
Confusion at the descend strava.png
little detour before I picked up the right path for the looong descent

IMG_1028 php690.jpg
With Loch Cluanie and Cluanie Inn in sight I felt safe again.

Finally at the Cluanie Inn I had a nice break with a soup and a lager, enjoying the people around me and leaving my note about the camera. Finally I took my bike to ride back to the parking throug the almost silent Glen now, enjoying the impressive mountains to both sides and retracing my steps mentally while looking up to today's ridge trying to figure out what places I do spot from below the road.
Strava route.png
mentally retracing my walk backwards

IMG_1033 php690.jpg
sunset over Loch Cluanie

IMG_1039 php690.jpg
Very impressed by the mountains on the south side of Glen Shiel I wondered what walks are to discover over there...

With a final look to the Brother's Ridge I said goodbye to the mountains and hurried up to get my bike attached to the rack before the midges would have eaten me up. By the way; It was the first year -- after five years in a row of summer holidays in Scotland -- that I really learned about the midges. The first years had been midges-free and only last year I got to know some in very few places, but this year was really annoying.
On my way back I took another look at Eilan Donan Castle, which was a peaceful finish of an extraordinary day!
IMG_1050 php690.jpg
Eilean Donan Castle at night

Now, ambitious as usual and encouraged by this day, I was waiting for another good day to do the Five Sisters ....
Last edited by Grisu on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Super Day in Kintail - Brothers Ridge

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:58 pm

Amazed to see not a single snowflake in any of your photos! This is the highlands in late January: a metre on the tops and severe avalanche warning would be normal - sign of the times I guess
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Stevenp » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:22 am

From the photographs I assume this walk took place last summer. Perhaps changing the date of the walk would be helpful to avoid confusion.
Stevenp
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:13   

Postby Grisu » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Stevenp wrote:From the photographs I assume this walk took place last summer. Perhaps changing the date of the walk would be helpful to avoid confusion.

past my sell by date wrote:Amazed to see not a single snowflake in any of your photos! This is the highlands in late January: a metre on the tops and severe avalanche warning would be normal - sign of the times I guess

Thanks guys, sorry for the confusion!!
Grisu
Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:03 pm

It can happen though
I remember a February meet in Glencoe in the 1990s i think when everything was green
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:13 pm

Beautiful photos of the ridge, so glad you overcame the ropey start to your holiday :D .

IMHO 2020 was a dreadful year for midges :evil: :evil:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby scottnairn » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:54 pm

These are the days we are all dreaming of - waiting out the inclement weather, biding (Biting) your time until the sunny hill day presents itself and getting all the great views!!

I've got lots of days like this planned for this year if we see the likes of it again... COVID, sling yer hook
Working on my 2021 'beach body' whilst in lockdown - but we all know the diet will only last until I pass the chippy on the way off the hills :lol: :D

Looks like a cracking wee holiday, you fair made the most of it!

Take care,
Scott
scottnairn
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:42
Fionas:17   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:3

Postby Grisu » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:10 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Beautiful photos of the ridge, so glad you overcame the ropey start to your holiday :D .

IMHO 2020 was a dreadful year for midges :evil: :evil:

Thanks a lot Huff n Puff! Interesting to hear that it was a dreadful year for midges - during my first midges-free years I always thought it was a sort of myth or a yarn but now I know how real and nasty they are!
Grisu
Walker

Postby Grisu » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:15 pm

scottnairn wrote:These are the days we are all dreaming of - waiting out the inclement weather, biding (Biting) your time until the sunny hill day presents itself and getting all the great views!!

I've got lots of days like this planned for this year if we see the likes of it again... COVID, sling yer hook
Working on my 2021 'beach body' whilst in lockdown - but we all know the diet will only last until I pass the chippy on the way off the hills :lol: :D

Take care,
Scott

Thank you, Scott, and yes it was a good holiday finally; thanks for the correction as well :D
For this year I have booked my holidays already, against all odds, hoping that I will be able to make it again!
Planned my walks are for the south side of Glen Shiel this summer!
So, let's keep fingers crossed and stay safe!
All the best
Anke
Grisu
Walker

Postby scottnairn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:16 pm

Grisu wrote:
scottnairn wrote:These are the days we are all dreaming of - waiting out the inclement weather, biding (Biting) your time until the sunny hill day presents itself and getting all the great views!!

Take care,
Scott

Thank you, Scott, and yes it was a good holiday finally; thanks for the correction as well :D
For this year I have booked my holidays already, against all odds, hoping that I will be able to make it again!
Planned my walks are for the south side of Glen Shiel this summer!
So, let's keep fingers crossed and stay safe!
All the best
Anke

Oh, it wasn't a correction; just highlighting your clever wordplay as that is exactly the best way to bide your time, by biting into a chippy tea :lol: :lol:
Cracking stuff, I'm planning for the north side like the Brother ridge and the Five Sisters, will see how it goes! 8)
scottnairn
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:42
Fionas:17   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:3

Postby Grisu » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:30 pm

scottnairn wrote:Oh, it wasn't a correction; just highlighting your clever wordplay as that is exactly the best way to bide your time, by biting into a chippy tea :lol: :lol:
Cracking stuff, I'm planning for the north side like the Brother ridge and the Five Sisters, will see how it goes! 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's why I am always confused with the spelling - when I bide my time it always feels like biting something :wink:
Grisu
Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:32 pm

Brilliant photos - what a glorious day!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Grisu » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:37 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Brilliant photos - what a glorious day!

Tim

Yes, indeed, an unforgettable day, thanks, Tim!
Grisu
Walker

Postby Verylatestarter » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:33 pm

Lovely report and photos in both this and the sisters walk. Much appreciated.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland