walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnoc Corr Guinie, nice easy one in the snow

Cnoc Corr Guinie, nice easy one in the snow

Postby gld73 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:42 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc Corr Guinie

Date walked: 26/01/2021

Time taken: 1.7 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 200m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Looking at what nearby small hills I could do in the current lockdown conditions to have the occasional change from exercising from home, I realised that there was a local sub-2000 I still hadn't got round to doing - Cnoc Corr Guinie. Probably the only new summit I'll be ticking off for a while, so nice to get it done this afternoon.

I parked just off the Struie Rd next to some wheelie bins at the entrance to a forestry track, and continued up the snow-covered track through the open gate and then immediately turned left along another track and through another gate. After about 100m there's a junction and this is where to take a sharp right to start heading up. I stayed on this good, main track walking up through the nice powdery snow and ignored any tracks or fire breaks heading off to the left.
IMG_20210126_142748.jpg
Start of the walk, just off the B9176 Struie Road (directly behind me when taking this photo). Head up here through the open vehicle gate (which you can't really see in this photo) and then take the branch you can just see going to the left

IMG_20210126_142915.jpg
...taking that left branch gives you this view. Past the open gate and about a hundred metres further on, take the right turn, almost back on yourself but heading upwards

IMG_20210126_145137.jpg
Even in snow, it's a good track, makes for an easy, gradual ascent through the forestry

Eventually, just before the forestry ends, there's what looks like a bit of a turning area and a smaller track goes straight up from there to the left, up to the summit area. The snow got increasingly deep up here, knee deep on the way up, then once at the top, sometimes even thigh deep in the bits when I stepped between, rather than on, heather tussocks.
IMG_20210126_150251.jpg
Just before the track comes to the end of the forestry area, this path/track with a pole by it heads up to the left, taking you up to the top of the hill

IMG_20210126_151258.jpg
Snow getting deeper as the path heads up, but still nice, soft snow to walk through today

IMG_20210126_151535.jpg
Cnoc Corr Guinie's 'summit plateau'!

It's not a spectacular summit - in fact, there's not a particularly well defined summit point, at least when everything's covered in snow. It's just a strip of clearance in amongst the forestry which does have a cairn at the eastern end, though the high point is further to the west.
IMG_20210126_151843.jpg
The non-summit cairn

IMG_20210126_151917.jpg
Zoomed down to the rigs in the Cromarty Firth, lurking under a low bank of cloud

With the snow being pretty deep I decided to just re-trace my footsteps back the way I'd come rather than wade through the snow to take a different route down. There was hardly a breath of wind and the cloud stayed above these smaller hills, so although it wasn't an epic trek by any means, it was a nice, enjoyable straightforward hillwalk.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland