walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The hills of Glen Orchy: views to the left of them ...

The hills of Glen Orchy: views to the left of them ...

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:36 pm

Route description: Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a'Chreachain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 19/09/2020

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 1206m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

...views to the right of them ... and views all around them :lol: :lol: .

A gloomy January day is the perfect time to reminisce a wonderful three days of perfect hill weather last September (2020). Autumn tints, coolish breezes, clear air and no midges :shock: :lol: :lol: . We were rounding off a leisurely romp in the Grey Corries (followed by a bit of Neptune's magic) with a wander up Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair, the last of the Glen Orchy Munros we had to climb.

Target hills seen from the A82 heading south, the previous day

We followed the WH route (except for an unscheduled short cut towards the end).

Loch Tulla from the car park

We were there so early there were plenty of parking spaces, no longer true by the time we came back. After a brief chat to a man from Inverarry, who was waiting for his walking companion to arrive, we headed off along the track soon passing Achaladair farm with its ruined tower.

The ford over the Allt Ur, no problem today

Boggy path with reflections

The ruined farm of Tom na Grobh

The bridge over the Water of Tulla

At this point we left the main track and head for the bridge that is ...

... down ...

... and then to find an easy place to splash across the Water of Tulla

Next obstacle - the railway bridge

I had just gone under the bridge and had put the camera away when I turned to see a train thundering over the bridge - one of the surprises of being deaf :lol: :lol:

Artistically displayed fungus

Artistically displayed mountain (Beinn Achaladair)

Looking back towards Ben Cruachan

Following the path by the Allt Coire an Lochain

We eventually crossed the Allt Coire an Lochain (as per the WH route), but we noticed many of the people following us stayed on the path leading for the Lochan. We met up with some of them further on; by now the mountain was getting busy. The next part of the route can only be described as a slog to get up to the ridge above Lochan a'Chreachain, but the rest stops were worth it for the view that were opening up behind us.

The Ben and friends

and a panorama as far east as the Grey Corries, complete with mist

On the ridge and looking down at the Lochan (in the bright sunlight I didn't realise I's chopped off part of the Lochan :shock: :shock:

From the ridge an easy stroll to the top of Beinn a' Chreachain

With views of Loch Lyon and to the Ben Lawers range

Made it :D :D

We were fortunate that many of the people who had passed us seemed to be in a hurry to get on the the next mountain, so with the exception of one couple we had the summit to ourselves.

From the top it was 360 degrees of jawdropingly beautiful views over the Central Highlands. To the south east

From the Ben to Creag Meagaidh

West, Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise with Buachaille Etive Mor and the hills of Glencoe curving round behind them

Looking towards our next destination, Beinn Achaladair, with the 'horns' of Ben Cruachan to its left and the hills of the Black Mount to its right

Down towards the Tyndrum and Crainlarich hills

By now the wind was becoming chill so we dropped off the top to find a sheltered spot on the slopes above Meall Buidhe for lunch.

Meall Buidhe with the hills of the Black Mount and Glenn Etive behind

The route to Beinn Achaladair starts off fairly benignly with a wander across Meall Buidhe
From the top of the crags on Meall Buidhe

before a steepish pull up Achaladair

which gave us a different angle on these amazing views

The Ben with the A82 snaking over the western end of Rannoch Moor

The southern Glen Orchy Hills with the Crainlarich hills behind

Looking towards Etive, with Beinn Starav

Ben Cruachan

Loch Lyon and the Lawers group

Eventually the photography had to stop and we headed home. At some point we followed a path that wasn't the path we were supposed to follow and ended up partway down a very steep but grassy mountainside. At this point we realised the error of our ways but also decided the grass was dry and the challenge was fun, also we didn't fancy retracing our steps to find the correct and longer route :roll: :lol: . At least we found a dry descent.

We came down this slope (somewhere)

We were soon back on the main path, which to be honest was a wet, boggy slog, and the least enjoyable part of the day. With the relatively new path which bypasses Achaladair a real quagmire. But even this couldn't detract from an amazing hill day (and no I haven't counted how many times I've used the word amazing in this report, or how many times I've regaled anyone who would listen about the amazing views :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: The hills of Glen Orchy: views to the left of them ...

Postby 1Magnus » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:38 am

Great report; thanks for posting. I was on these mountains the following day, 20 September, and was positively eaten alive by the keds (deerfly), by the Water of Tulla. Did you find a way of dealing with them? I need to go back to that area for more walks this coming summer, but am dreading it because of the keds.
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:20 pm

This looks a great round but doesn't bode well for a simple out and back to Beinn Achaladair which we have left to do... Will have to try to go after a dry spell. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:47 pm

1Magnus wrote:Great report; thanks for posting. I was on these mountains the following day, 20 September, and was positively eaten alive by the keds (deerfly), by the Water of Tulla. Did you find a way of dealing with them? I need to go back to that area for more walks this coming summer, but am dreading it because of the keds.

Thanks, no we weren't bothered by keds, or midges for that matter. I wonder if the warm weather led to a hatching of them, or if the breeze we had kept them away. From what I've read about keds they are definitely not on my list of wildlife to meet :roll: :roll: Which months are keds active?
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:48 pm

dogplodder wrote:This looks a great round but doesn't bode well for a simple out and back to Beinn Achaladair which we have left to do... Will have to try to go after a dry spell. 8)

I think that would be a wise move, but do go the views are amazing :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby maxie23 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:39 pm

Hi Huff n Puff.
Cracking photos :D
I did this route a week after you and had lovely weather as well.
Descent path was a bit of a quagmire, at least you had it a bit drier with your slight detour.
Regards.
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:26 pm

maxie23 wrote:Hi Huff n Puff.
Cracking photos :D
I did this route a week after you and had lovely weather as well.
Descent path was a bit of a quagmire, at least you had it a bit drier with your slight detour.
Regards.

Thanks, these hills are a wonderful viewpoint, but I agree with you about the descent path, for once coming straight down a steep hillside was better than the path :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland