walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creach Bheinn and Beinn Sgulaird

Creach Bheinn and Beinn Sgulaird

Postby bootsandpaddles » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Corbetts included on this walk: Creach Bheinn (Loch Creran)

Date walked: 05/03/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are no photos for this report because we spent most of the day in the clouds. :( Encouraged by the MWIS forecast, which promised cloud free Munros and no rain, we drove in the rain to Druimavuic at the head of Loch Creran. “It’s looking a bit brighter” I kept saying. “We’ll be needing the Factor 30 by lunchtime!” :crazy: Katie wasn’t convinced as we parked and put on our waterproofs and set off up the track next to the flood warning sign. Emerging from the woods we continued up the track and took the right hand branch down to the Allt Buidhe. We crossed at a weir and carried on up the glen until our progress was cut off by a deer fence. :? Climbing over (no damage done) we proceeded very steeply up to the ridge which loomed out of the cloud. Once beyond Meall nan Caorach the gradient eased (it needed to!) and we reached Meall Garbh. From there we cut across southish across a few patches of soft snow to reach the summit of Creach Bheinn. Someone was already in possession of the small stone shelter around the trig point so we perched on some rocks and had lunch. We engaged in polite conversation and then the realisation slowly dawned that the guy was waiting for us to finish our lunch and intended to accompany us along to the north east top. This has never happened to me before in many years of walking: you meet people, exchange a few words, may be walk along with them for a short way but they don’t usually attach themselves to you for over an hour! Subtle hints (“I love doing Corbetts, you often have them all to yourself!) fell on deaf ears and I had the sinking feeling he intended to pursue for the rest of the day. :eh: In the event he left us at the bealach and went down in to Coire Buidhe as he didn’t want to do Beinn Sgulaird in poor visibility. We like to walk on our own or with people we have chosen to be with. People we feel comfortable with. I wouldn’t want to offend anyone but the prolonged presence of a complete stranger totally changes things. It is an unwanted pressure on what should be a relaxing day out. How do other people feel about this?

Anyway, having lost our tail, we went straight up the steep slopes of yet another Meall Garbh, picking our way over and round rocky outcrops and boulders. We were then on the long, switchback ridge of Beinn Sgulaird. We were still in thick cloud and the rain became heavier. :( It was really rough going and we strayed a little bit off course just after the second top but were soon back on track. The ridge seemed to go on and on (and on and on) but eventually the large summit cairn was visible in the mist. :clap: By this time we were a bit worried about not getting down before dark and had a quick cup of tea and some chocolate before beginning the long walk back to Meall Garbh. Then we descended the long (repetition of the word long is telling here!) ridge to Druimavuic where we reached the car just as it got dark. I found this quite a tough day out with lots of ascent and descent and some tricky navigation in the clouds.

The day was rounded off with fish and chips in Tyndrum. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Creach Bheinn and Beinn Sgulaird

Postby malky_c » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Had Creach Bheinn earmarked as a possible route to do on my way back from Mull on Tuesday. In the event, I went for another walk on the island instead. Probably best as this would've taken too long.

I remember walking the wong way years ago in the Carneddau in Snowdonia in poor visibility. I was lazily following footprints in the snow rather than bothering to navigate, and eventually I met the guy who had made them coming back. We walked together for 40 minutes or so before he got to the point where he was due to drop off the ridge in a different direction.That was fine, but I suppose it was a bit different, as I think we were both relieved to bump into each other!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland