walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Deuchary Hill

Deuchary Hill

Postby Jim777 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:30 pm

Date walked: 31/01/2021

Time taken: 5.45 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 550m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

First walk of the year and seen as we have to stay in our local authority area I decided I’d go up to Dunkeld and do Deuchary Hill. It’s not high, only 511 metres, but I reckoned with the amount of snow we’ve had recently that would be hard going enough.
7DFDAB9C-61CB-4397-982F-6B37D71981A1.jpeg
Deuchary Hill seen from a distance

And so it proved to be. Naismith be damned, I think I almost doubled his time. Left Cally car park and headed roughly North up the track passing Upper Hatton, Birkenburn ( where I saw 4 red squirrels ) and The Glack to arrive at Mill Dam.
02DE19EB-9364-4D52-8A42-4E469EFABCD8.jpeg
Mill Dam with boat hut

The tractors and other vehicles that have come down the track from these places have left the track deeply rutted and where it is smooth absolutely treacherous. I crossed the Lunan Burn at the outflow from Mill Dam and took the High Trail to Loch Ordie as far as where it split. From there I headed North East along a rapidly narrowing trail until a sharp bend in the path below the Southern slopes of Deuchary Hill. I departed from the track and ascended North and then North East to the summit of Deuchary Hill, 511m.
80B45862-4B85-40E8-B488-582A1388D97A.jpeg
Summit of Deuchary Hill

At the start of the ascent from the track it was quite tricky and icy so had I met anyone intending to descend by this route I would have recommended they put on at least a pair of micro spikes.
EAE8FB42-ED15-4BAE-BD29-717D0956C9B6.jpeg
Loch Ordie seen from the summit of Deuchary Hill

The initial descent North East from the summit of Deuchary Hill was very steep and the snow very deep - it would remain like that, basically knee deep snow, until I again reached the High Trail to Loch Ordie at 310m.
92A9D230-37BE-402C-AC8C-4BCA85E8CC36.jpeg
Lochan na Beinne and the route of descent seen from the summit of Deuchary Hill

It was obvious from the tracks in the snow that only a couple of people had been up to the summit and I never saw anyone on the hill that day.
F0D2666D-1195-42EE-9E03-1F887A853356.jpeg
Looking back to summit from route of descent

B0ED1091-0C48-41E9-B05C-1BE34A9380E0.jpeg
Thank God I’m almost back at the track

Rather than drop down to the Lower Trail to Loch Ordie, which in hindsight might have made life slightly easier, I decided to turn left and just follow the High Trail back to where I had left it and on to Mill Dam where I stopped for well earned eats. From there it was just back down the track past The Glack, Birkenburn and Upper Hatton to the car. It’s true what they say that the only way to stay hill fit is to get out there and do it - my legs are telling me I’m not out there enough. Lochan na Beinne up by the summit of Deuchary Hill, Mill Dam, Dowally Loch, and even Loch Ordie were all frozen.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland