walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Failed (to stay upright)

Ben Failed (to stay upright)

Postby Bruadair » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Date walked: 05/03/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After much deliberation and based on a a good chance of clear summit report on MWIS I desided to head west to tackle Beinn a'Chleibh and Ben Lui so set off at 6.45am and up A82 along Loch Lomond side. Going by the layby's enroute it looked like it was going to be a busy day on the hills.

I reached the carpark at NN239278 at approx 8.40am there was a bit of drizzle / light rain and the sun (if there was to be any) had a bit of work to do to to clear the summits, so I desided to have a light snack before getting kitted up.
P1010193.JPG
Upward view from carpark at NN239278
P1010194.JPG
Upward view 2

Whilst snacking, a number of cars arrived in the carpark and it wasn't long before people were heading for the hills, so thought I'd best get my RS in gear and get on with planned walk. On reaching the river I pondered whether or not to walk down to the bridge crossing or take the chance I wouldn't slip and cross at the noted Ford.....ford it was to be.
P1010195.JPG
River Lochy ford at NN238276
I then trudged up the woodland track which was extremely boggy and on a couple of occasions I was up over the ankles in mucky sludge......so with keeping an eye on the track condition, I missed the fork for the track upwards and continued on the track I was on and eventually crossed stream at NN253275
P1010196.JPG
Left woodland track to start assent at NN253275
Albeit a little steeper in assent this was probably a more obvious track, so I made my way up the side of the hill...that was until I reached a point in the track that required the slightest of scrambles and my little legs weren't long enough to take the required upward steps...so whilst trying to negotiate the obstacle (rather than take a slight detour) my foot slipped on the wet rock and down I went......thrusting my hand out to break my fall (as you do) I landed rather heavily on same and felt a bit sickly afterwards.....but had managed to negotiate the obstacle....so picked my self up, not quite dusting myself down I took stock of my situation...ankles a bit sore I must have turned it a little (weakness stems from an old football injury from..phew must be around 1971)....right hand and in particular the 3rd finger is throbbing......it could be broken. The obstacle was a rocky part of the track around NN252268 that required an escalation of no more than 6 foot and I failed miserably I could have walked round a muddy part, but no I was in my Chris Bonnington zone
P1010197.JPG
View towards Ben Lui
after regaining my dignity I took another upward photo and with doubt starting to creep in I hobbled onwards. After continuing for approx a further 250 feet in height (but in a more lateral direction) I again stopped to take stock and looked up as the cloud appeared to be rolling down the hillside
P1010198.JPG
The cloud creeping down hillside
P1010199.JPG
cloudy hillside 2
Nah!..what was the point sore ankle..sore hand..what am I going to see, by the looks of it nothing so I desided enough was enough and headed off the hillside and down an even muckier track than the one I ventured up
P1010201.JPG
Falls on downward track
I had read a number of reports with fantastic photo's from Ben Lui and was so looking forward to this walk.....but it didn't look like there would any good photo's today...so it's packed away for another day........Oh!!! for anyone interested....the finger in question is currently approx 1.5 times size and a shade of deep purple.

Best regards.....................B
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Ben Failed (to stay upright)

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:10 pm

The main thing is you got back to your car safe,if not sound,and even better you get to go back,must admit when I did these two I did not very much luck either as I ended up with a hairline fracture of my right ankle,but managed to compleate the two,but will still go back and re do them soon
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Bruadair » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:32 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:The main thing is you got back to your car safe,if not sound,and even better you get to go back,must admit when I did these two I did not very much luck either as I ended up with a hairline fracture of my right ankle,but managed to compleate the two,but will still go back and re do them soon

Cheers Gammy..............appreciate your comment,I saw your report with the injury you picked up and fair play for completing..at least I don't have to walk on my hands (couldn't if I tried)...the ankle problem I've had to put up with for 40 years, but didn't think there was any point in agrevating either for no views or photos.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Bruadair wrote: Nah!..what was the point sore ankle..sore hand..what am I going to see, by the looks of it nothing
Pity about that but at least you got back in one piece - fully agree with your comment here; not a lot of point esp if you can't see anything as the foggy hillside photo shows. You could always try the Cononish approach next time as you get great views approaching Ben Lui. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bruadair » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Cheers Rock'r.......Appreciate the feedback

You could always try the Cononish approach next time as you get great views approaching Ben Lui. :D[/quote]

I was thinking more in the lines of the Parasending approach......would save all the avches and pains.

Regards...................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Stretch » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Probably a good thing to turn around, it's a tough hill in no visibility as that's basically how I did it. Only got a view from the teeny neighbor munro lol. On a side note, you could pay me to ever go up that mucky forest track again, I'm 6'-7" and I sank to my knee at one point.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby yokehead » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Yes, getting back is the main thing, sorry to hear of your mishap and injury. :( I just love your photos of the mist though, great to see a typical view! 8) I agree with the Cononish approach to Lui, worth a day to itself I think. Maybe get a parascending tow pulled by a landrover or go when the river's in spate and get a tow by boat! :lol: Let us know how you get on with the injury.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:23 pm

You did the right thing Bruadair. I had a similar event climbing Ben Narnain in the summer and turned back. I'm sure you will get this one bagged soon.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Bruadair » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Stretch wrote:Probably a good thing to turn around, it's a tough hill in no visibility as that's basically how I did it. Only got a view from the teeny neighbor munro lol. On a side note, you could pay me to ever go up that mucky forest track again, I'm 6'-7" and I sank to my knee at one point.

Cheers Stretch,
Having heard great reports on Ben Lui and seen some fantastic photo's from summit, I might have turned back had I not toppled as there was absolutely nothing to see, well not from as far as I got anyway......excluding the river crossing, it is possitively the wetest walk I have encountered thus far.....maybe next time I'll try a wet suit (including oxygen tank).

Best regards.................B,
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:08 pm

yokehead wrote:Yes, getting back is the main thing, sorry to hear of your mishap and injury. :( I just love your photos of the mist though, great to see a typical view! 8) I agree with the Cononish approach to Lui, worth a day to itself I think. Maybe get a parascending tow pulled by a landrover or go when the river's in spate and get a tow by boat! :lol: Let us know how you get on with the injury.

Cheers Yokehead,
The annoying thing about the injury is that I had clambered up the rocky area (all 6ish foot) and was just straightening myself up when foot slipped and keeping within a sporting theme...I did a sort of Ali Shuffle before doing the Fosbery Flop.

Best regards................B.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:19 pm

2dalmatians wrote:You did the right thing Bruadair. I had a similar event climbing Ben Narnain in the summer and turned back. I'm sure you will get this one bagged soon.

Cheers 2D's..............appreciate your and everyone else's support.
Yes, turning back was probably right under the circumstances......had it been clear that might have been a different story and different report.....but I will bag these two soon......I absolutely loved Narnairn my favourite hill to date.

Best regards......................B.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:21 pm

It'll be all the sweeter when you go back. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland