walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beautiful snowy escape

Beautiful snowy escape

Postby Jaxter » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Route description: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh, near Drumnadrochit

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Date walked: 23/01/2021

Time taken: 4.05 hours

Distance: 9.81 km

Ascent: 500m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had spent so long feeling rubbish that the idea of a day out was very exciting! Malky suggested Meall Fuar-mhonaidh; it was close to home and on it’s own (we had done it with the neighbouring Glas-bheinn mor the previous time, pre-Covid) might be manageable for me. The road up to the parking area was icy but doable with Malky’s winter tyres, and we set off along the track towards the hill.

Past the pottery we were onto the path which had fewer people (so we could stop for a pee!) and we could also see ahead to Meall Fuar-mhonaidh which looked fantastic 8)

The path went through the woods and started climbing. There was plenty of slippery stuff around so we needed to watch our feet

As we popped out the trees the gradient steepened, but the views really opened out. Even Malky approved!

We were very grateful for the people who had already carved a way through the snow – it was tough enough going without having to break trail as well :roll:

But there was no denying it was a stunning day

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh itself starting to poke out above the ridge – it looked big and far away

The ridge ahead – the gradient would get a little easier once (if!) we reached that

It was a monumental effort but at last we had reached the stile – I felt like I was on top of the world :lol:

Loch Ness starting to appear

We were now properly on the ridge. The going was generally not bad but I was completely shattered and didn’t think I would manage much further so we sat down and had some lunch.

Looking over towards Glas-bheinn Mhor – not for today!

Happy to be out 8)

After a decent break – it was beautiful in the low winds – I felt a bit more alive so we decided to continue a bit further up the ridge

To begin with the walking was easy enough – it was a decent gradient and the snow was packed down hard. But before long things got steeper and deeper, making things much more difficult!

Looking back

The sun was shining and it was an incredible day 8)

The next section ahead

There was cloud starting to come in over Loch Ness

We didn’t expect to get this far but eventually we were looking at the final slog – it was drifting in and out of the cloud but we figured we’d continue a little further….

However…. :roll:

Malky looks excited :lol:

It looked like it might clear though – we were almost there, climbing over the many false summits

And we were there 8) The views were nothing very exciting – we did wait around a bit but nothing materialised. We were both getting cold so after a bite to eat and the breather we headed back down

We passed a couple of guys carrying snowboards…

Malky trying to make me go faster (not happening!)

Soon we did start to drop out of the cloud again

Sun hitting the hills in the distance

Looking back up…

Finally we were over the stile and heading back towards the trees

As we dropped back into the trees we could see back up to the summit – typically out of the clouds now :roll:

The trek through the trees felt like it was never-ending, but eventually we got another view back to our hill before dragging myself back to the car. Fortunately Malky was driving and all I had to was try not to freak out about the icy roads :lol:

Amazing feeling to get out on the hills, despite it being insanely hard work 8)
Attachments

activity_6155095335.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Beautiful snowy escape

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:48 pm

That looks so good! Great for the mind.

No snow here, but lots of frozen ice patterns on the heathlands, which are nice but less energetic to reach. :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:50 am

Lovely :D A handy little mountain for a shorter day. Hopefully your long Covid will pack up and go away for good very soon!

We considered this route last Sunday but decided it would be too much deep snow now, went to Corrimony instead and walked to the bothy. We were lucky someone had driven to the windfarm recently and we could follow the tyre tracks. We nipped up to the viewpoint below the turbines for the views of Affric hills... It's crazy up there, even on 400m we struggled to walk :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby gld73 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:25 pm

I was up there a couple of weeks earlier from the other side (didn't have winter tyres, so avoided the road to the pottery!), think I got the same views from the summit cairn as you :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:20 am

That second pic just takes one's breath away. Fortunately I'm not of a jealous disposition :roll: .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby R1ggered » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Well done. That was a great effort. :clap: :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:24 am

That looked good. I've been up there a few times and it tends to be very boggy on the ridge more often than not. I haven't been up in conditions as good as that and not for a few years either, due a return quite soon.
I was out at Dores today and it was lookin great.

The Meall just poking out on the right of the tree. :D
20210210_213758.jpg

That was a great article you did for WH. I really hope things get better for you sooner rather than later.
All the best. :thumbup:
Sunset tripper

Postby Jaxter » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:27 pm

Mal Grey wrote:That looks so good! Great for the mind.

No snow here, but lots of frozen ice patterns on the heathlands, which are nice but less energetic to reach. :lol:

It felt so good to get outside, even if it was hard work!

BlackPanther wrote:Lovely :D A handy little mountain for a shorter day. Hopefully your long Covid will pack up and go away for good very soon!

We considered this route last Sunday but decided it would be too much deep snow now, went to Corrimony instead and walked to the bothy. We were lucky someone had driven to the windfarm recently and we could follow the tyre tracks. We nipped up to the viewpoint below the turbines for the views of Affric hills... It's crazy up there, even on 400m we struggled to walk :lol:

Yeah it's been a bit mental recently - nice to have snowy streets to wander about too. Good to have a day where I feel a little bit less crappy but sadly it's only ever short term :(

gld73 wrote:I was up there a couple of weeks earlier from the other side (didn't have winter tyres, so avoided the road to the pottery!), think I got the same views from the summit cairn as you :lol:

Definitely would have felt less confident in my car - it's barely been out the driveway in months now. Very glad of Malky's winter tyres :shock:

Alteknacker wrote:That second pic just takes one's breath away. Fortunately I'm not of a jealous disposition :roll: .

Thankyou :) It was breath-taking (as in I was literally struggling to breath :lol: :roll: )

R1ggered wrote:Well done. That was a great effort. :clap: :clap:

Cheers 8)

Sunset tripper wrote:That looked good. I've been up there a few times and it tends to be very boggy on the ridge more often than not. I haven't been up in conditions as good as that and not for a few years either, due a return quite soon.
I was out at Dores today and it was lookin great.

The Meall just poking out on the right of the tree. :D
20210210_213758.jpg

That was a great article you did for WH. I really hope things get better for you sooner rather than later.
All the best. :thumbup:

Thankyou - here's hoping :shock: I was up there a few summers ago and it wasn't too bad but I think it had been unusually dry for a few weeks. Malky described it as "getting more boggy the higher you go" :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland