walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Milk Run

The Milk Run

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:00 pm

Date walked: 10/02/2021

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 120m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The boss advised me last night that we were running low on milk so this morning I checked the car.

1.JPG

Looks like a walk then.

We live about 3 miles from Letham but by taking various farm tracks as well as a couple of minor roads I can turn a straight there and back in to roughly a 7.5 mile circular walk.

Our house is on a dead end tarmac road that ends at a farm and the farmer has ploughed the road so he can get in and out which is great for vehicles but it has left the road with a thin layer of smooth and super slick ice so it was a bit of a dance for this part of my walk.

After a couple of miles I left the road and picked up a farm track that links our road with another dead end road and this was completely different walking with deep snow and no sign that there had been anything on it for a couple of days.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

The roads around us are all "C" class roads and very low priority, some have been ploughed in one direction so are reduced to a narrow lane whilst others have been left untouched and are now covered in fairly deep snow. On a ploughed section I was surprised by a very quiet Openreach van that crept up behind me and was really close before I heard it (not sure if they have any electric vans?). I moved in to the deep snow and he then drove past and that was the only traffic for the 2 miles in to Letham on the road.

The forecast suggested the heavy showers would be over by early this morning but it was pretty heavy snow for about 40 minutes till I reached the village.

Apart from two or three dog walkers nobody seemed to be venturing outside today.

The big surprise was that I was able to pick up two 4 pint bottles of skimmed milk as I was expecting this to be a wasted 7 mile circular walk and heading home empty handed.

On the way back I stopped to see my pals - I suppose they are well insulated but they looked cold.

3.JPG
Snowbound Letham

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

After yet another photo shoot with the cows it was a 2 mile gradual climb back on the road to the house. Eight pints of milk on my back was quite hard going - I'm forgetting what it's like to have a heavy rucksack on.

7.JPG

8.JPG
Dodgy side road

So, a successful trip, hopefully something a bit more exciting might not be that far way. Meantime, I think I may just be going a little stir crazy :shock:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: The Milk Run

Postby Graeme D » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:14 am

Stir craziness - there's a lot of it around! If I had done this I'd probably have got back home and then realised that I'd forgotten the milk! :crazy: Maybe this will kick start a spate of reports about walking to the shops to purchase a range of food and drink items - the Biscuit Run, the Coffee Run, the Eggs Run. In fact I did one myself last night - the Beer Run! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby litljortindan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Them cows are looking as pristine as the snow now.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:03 pm

Graeme D wrote:Stir craziness - there's a lot of it around! If I had done this I'd probably have got back home and then realised that I'd forgotten the milk! :crazy: Maybe this will kick start a spate of reports about walking to the shops to purchase a range of food and drink items - the Biscuit Run, the Coffee Run, the Eggs Run. In fact I did one myself last night - the Beer Run! :lol:

I was supposed to post a birthday card but I completely forgot, bet you didn't forget the beer :lol:

Yesterday I did the milk, butter and cheese run (and the forgotten birthday card) - living life on the edge :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:04 pm

litljortindan wrote:Them cows are looking as pristine as the snow now.

Probably the most photographed cows in Angus!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby maxie23 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Hi Gordie 12
Cracking photos :D

I went for a walk in the snow down to buy a frothy fruit-flavoured drink from my local shop.
Unfortunately I ended up sliding on my backside down a hill.
Yes, it was the cresta run.
Boom boom.

:lol:
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 pm

maxie23 wrote:Hi Gordie 12
Cracking photos :D

I went for a walk in the snow down to buy a frothy fruit-flavoured drink from my local shop.
Unfortunately I ended up sliding on my backside down a hill.
Yes, it was the cresta run.
Boom boom.

:lol:

Come on maxie 23, up yer game.......................your better than that!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 pm

My milk run isn't as exciting as yours with no Highland cows and only the occasional roe deer that doesn't stand nicely for photos. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby maxie23 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi Gordie12

Scary thing is I can remember the adverts for cresta, and I am only just past 21. :lol:

One of the local farms in our area has a couple of herds of Highland cows, couple of calf's in with them at the moment.

ImageHighland cows by robert irvine, on Flickr

ImageHighland cow and calf by robert irvine, on Flickr

Pictures were taken before the snow, not quite as scenic as yours.

Regards.

Robert.
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am

dogplodder wrote:My milk run isn't as exciting as yours with no Highland cows and only the occasional roe deer that doesn't stand nicely for photos. 8)

HI DP - the snow is gone and it's back to mud - doesn't look as good now :(
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 am

maxie23 wrote:Hi Gordie12

Scary thing is I can remember the adverts for cresta, and I am only just past 21. :lol:

One of the local farms in our area has a couple of herds of Highland cows, couple of calf's in with them at the moment.

ImageHighland cows by robert irvine, on Flickr

ImageHighland cow and calf by robert irvine, on Flickr

Pictures were taken before the snow, not quite as scenic as yours.

Regards.

Robert.

All Highland beasties are good for a photo or two!!

My sister in law loves them (I do as well) so wherever I go I'm always on the lookout as I'm trying to get twelve really good shots to put in a calendar for her (so if your out walking and see some idiot spending ages photographing a cow from all angles - it's probably me. And if the person is chatting to them, it's definitely me :lol: )
Gordie12
Wanderer

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland