walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A walk from the lowest to highest point in Glasgow

A walk from the lowest to highest point in Glasgow

Postby HorZa » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Date walked: 15/02/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 258m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been trying to think of how to scratch the itch for a decent long walk and had previously looked at the highest points in certain areas outwith the more mountainous regions of Scotland.

Sticking within the Glasgow City area there are no real high points at all, with it's highest point being the second shortest of all the council areas in Scotland (Dundee's is 25m shorter!). You can also drive straight to the highest point in Glasgow meaning that you can be as lazy as you want in getting there.

So to try and spice it up a bit I thought about starting in the lowest point in Glasgow. After much searching I couldn't find anything that was below sea level and believed that the Clyde was the lowest point. From there I decided that Glasgow Green was as good a place to start as any and began the walk to the highest point in the South side of the city.

Along the way I stopped off at Cathkin Park to see what was left of the old stadium, had a look over the Snuff Mill Bridge, before wandering through Linn Park and reaching Cathkin Braes in time for sunset.

In the end it was a fairly good walk with quite a few things to see along the way. With the exception of having to walk along Polmadie Road for a short period of time it was a surprisingly pleasant and reasonably quiet walk considering the majority of it is within the city.

You can enjoy a video of the walk here:

https://youtu.be/daHO86o6R7E

Glasgows Lowest Point to Highest Point - Cathkin Braes - Highland Hikers.jpg
Attachments

Lowest_to_Highest_point_in_Glasgow_City.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

HorZa
Mountaineer

Munros:61   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:18

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland