walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

East Cairnwell Munro's

East Cairnwell Munro's

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 19/04/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I clearly didn't post this last year, but thought I would share a few photos of our day out on the East Cairnwell Munro's.

On such a clear (but cold) day, the route is both obvious and simple for most of it. Once on the top there are well trod paths (almost at summit level vehicle tracks).
There is a short but sweet pull up on to the top, where a right turn takes you out and back to our first top of the day.
From Glas Maol the rest of the day is laid out in front.
The most challenging part we felt was the big descent down rocks at the end of Carn an Tuiric back to the road.

ImageEast Cairnwell Wander by Matt Robinson, on Flickr
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:58   Corbetts:20
Grahams:21   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:143   Islands:12

Re: East Cairnwell Munro's

Postby Scottk » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 am

Agree with you about the descent-it is pretty miserable. Great once you get down but the walk back to the car park isn’t very nice either if the road is busy. I did this last year but added in Tolmount and Tom Buidhe. Would like to do all 9 in a day this year.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:27   

Re: East Cairnwell Munro's

Postby prog99 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:49 am

Scottk wrote:Agree with you about the descent-it is pretty miserable. Great once you get down but the walk back to the car park isn’t very nice either if the road is busy. I did this last year but added in Tolmount and Tom Buidhe. Would like to do all 9 in a day this year.

Straightforward enough, I did the circuit from the devils elbow carpark to minimise out and backs.
prog99
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland