walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Making a meal out of Meall na h-Eilrig

Making a meal out of Meall na h-Eilrig

Postby Jaxter » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:35 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall na h-Eilrig

Date walked: 21/02/2021

Time taken: 3.45 hours

Distance: 11.12 km

Ascent: 391m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had been looking at Meall na h-Eilrig for a while, several different routes had been tossed around but having had a look at the Orange map and google streetview I suggested an approach from the top of the Drumbuie road above Drumnadrochit as it would take us most of the way on tracks, leaving only a very short amount of off-piste. We found a parking spot right at the top of the road and headed along the track which got muddy very quickly, but had good views back down the glen to Drumnadrochit and Meall Fuar-mhonaidh.

We gave the cows a wide berth but fortunately they seemed to be more interested in eating tires :lol:

Once past the cows the track became a lot less muddy, but the uphill had already completely knackered me and we had to slow down. The views were fantastic though 8)

It was already feeling a bit like a bit of a slog but the wind was on our backs (strongly) and the sun was out

The Affric hills were almost visible - the views could be good later on!

We plodded slowly on, and before long we could see our hill up closer

Loch Glanaidh - still largely frozen!

Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard starting to appear

The track became less clear and after passing through the fence it became very wet too, probably from all the snow melt recently.

Although indistinct in places, the track got us through a lot of heather and other rubbish and as we gained height the views improved

Looking back to Ben Wyvis

There was a fairly nasty looking cloud hovering over Meall Fuar-mhonaidh but it seemed to avoid us other than this rainbow

Here we had to leave the track and do the last section off-piste across the heather and tussocks. It was hard going to begin with

I was struggling so Malky went ahead and made the snowy section a bit easier :lol:

As we gained more height the ground got a bit easier and soon the summit came into view

As I stopped for yet another break, the views behind to Ben Wyvis and the big hills were pretty good 8)

The Strathfarrar hills, Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais particularly prominent

Now finally at the summit were able to see down towards Loch Ness - despite the wind it was a spectacular day

Sgurr a' Choire Ghlais even clearer now

South Loch Ness and Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Despite the wind I managed to Jaxter on the trig 8)

Ben Wyvis again

We found a sheltered spot for a breather - Malky had carried up a flask of tea which was very welcome!! We debated the route back - we could retrace our footsteps or drop onto the Great Glen way and make a circuit of it (with the option of me dropping to the road and sending Malky for the car :lol: )

As we debated, there was some amazing light over Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Without looking at the map, I reckoned the distance I had to walk wasn't really any further for the circuit, and the walking would be easier once we reached the GGW...so we headed onwards...

The ground wasn't awful to begin with....

...but it very soon got tussocky and generally nasty :roll:

Looking back to the summit and wondering if it's too late to change my mind :crazy:

A last glimpse of Ben Wyvis

Then it got steeper and I turned into a bit of a zombie as I plodded behind Malky

Looking over to Carn a' Bhodaich, with Corryfoyness in the foreground

Finally we had reached the track and Malky sat me down for some food. I was knackered...turns out we had made a bad decision :lol: But we didn't have much choice now, so we plodded along the Great Glen Way - at least it was easy underfoot now!

I'd only been on small sections of the Great Glen Way, but it was nice walking, with breaks through the trees to see Loch Ness

Where the main route headed down to the A82 we stuck on a higher track to avoid any re-ascent. I was tired but coping...Around the houses at St Ninians it started to get dark, and the path that was marked on the map didn't seem to exist :roll: We skirted round a house and managed to rejoin the path further on - turns out it had been blocked off, probably when the house was built. We were back on track...

Urquhart Castle

The end of the path didn't quite join the road at Balnacraig either, and we had to walk past a couple of horses (which fortunately ignored us) and climb a fence before we were on the road. It was pretty much properly dark now :lol: I was a wreck so Malky ran off for my car and I slowly plodded my way along the road, willing Malky to run faster - fortunately he was also happy to pilot Colonel Mustard home while I zonked out :lol:
Attachments

activity_6310961269.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Making a meal out of Meall na h-Eilrig

Postby Low Level Walker » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:32 pm

:clap: :clap: Tyre eating cows lol :lol: :lol:

I hope they enjoyed whatever they were eating and weren't left feeling deflated.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :?
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:59 pm

Maybe the farmer had put something delicious inside the tyre :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:30 pm

Low Level Walker wrote::clap: :clap: Tyre eating cows lol :lol: :lol:

I hope they enjoyed whatever they were eating and weren't left feeling deflated.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :?

I love terrible jokes - excellent work :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:39 pm

Some really stunning pics there - the third one in, and a couple of Meall Fuar-mhonaidh.

Sorry it's still such hard work for you :( .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:45 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Some really stunning pics there - the third one in, and a couple of Meall Fuar-mhonaidh.

Sorry it's still such hard work for you :( .

Thankyou! Yes, along with the papermill by the airport, Meall Fuar-mhonaidh has been visible (or would have been if it was clear) on pretty much every excursion we've been on in the last few months! It's not really something to complain about (perhaps the papermill isn't so pretty!) but both stand out :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland