walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Buck

The Buck

Postby litljortindan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:40 pm

Route description: The Buck of Cabrach

Fionas included on this walk: The Buck

Date walked: 22/02/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 321m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Didn't fancy driving through the remaining snow to the Tap o' Noth carpark so onwards to The Buck!

I got out of the car and tested the road with my foot after I heard the brakes struggling. Very icy despite it being plus two Celsius on the dashboard. Continued at reduced speed.

The Buck from the roadside.

A lot of snow has been cleared. I decided to head east a bit before ascending, to avoid the drifts covering the normal start.

It was hard going over the bobbly heather and harder going over the soft snow patches.

Next time I went to take a photo I felt nothing but an open, empty pocket where the camera should have been. I decided to retrace the twenty minutes back to the car. No sign of the camera. However, I then retraced my upward journey and this time I did find it! By coincidence I had been listening on the radio to how mice retrace their steps using twigs and that dung beatles navigate by starlight. So maybe I was aided by something else but I was pleased with having found the camera.

Snow over towards Corryhabbie.

I've included this photo because it is of Clayhooter Hill.

Grim cloud above Tap o' Noth.

There's one main set of steps I've been following and I can see how they have bowed to the snow by virtue of their connecting heather clump to heather clump.

A swathe of blue to the east and fenceposts nearly covered by the drifts. Here I / the footsteps have veered quite far left (east) of the deepest snow.

Could see a couple ascending below. I tried to speed up but felt knackered from all the draining snow and heather. So then I decided to slow down to let the couple past so that they would get summit time to themselves and then I would too. Would never have thought there would be a Buck summit queue.

Rinnes and the Convals.

Windfarm to the west.

Rinnes again.

Knock Hill to the north.

Tap o' Noth getting a bit of sun.

Bennachie in the gloom.

At the summit rocks.

Third visit to the Buck and still no really clear views. View finding not aided by the sudden gusts of wind but I'll take bright weather over rain and cloud any time.

Mount Keen and Morven.

Getting to the trig point using elbows and forearms instead of hands is harder than expected, especially as the wind is strong enough to knock me off balance.

View southwest to the Cairngorms.

The way down is easier but still have to watch out for extra deep holes when following steps or extra deep snow when ignoring existing footsteps.

Snowdrift near the start. I probably didn't need to divert so far, after all. Descended the last part just west of the normal route.

The cloud disappears.

No ice on the road this time and the dashboard says plus ten Celsius now.

Conclusion: need more exercise.
Last edited by litljortindan on Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: The Buck

Postby prog99 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:54 pm

Could see a couple ascending below. I tried to speed up but felt knackered from all the draining snow and heather. So then I decided to slow down to let the couple past so that they would get summit time to themselves and then I would too. Would never have thought there would be a Buck summit queue.

Thank you, that was us. Plenty of room up there.
Tried to make longer day of it but the farm near the church were getting their oil delivery so went up the Voie Normale.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby litljortindan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:48 pm

prog99 wrote:

Thank you, that was us. Plenty of room up there.
Tried to make longer day of it but the farm near the church were getting their oil delivery so went up the Voie Normale.

I had wondered about climbing the Buck from Lumsden before but too long for me on a day like Monday with the melting snow.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby prog99 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:32 pm

That would have been a long day, had to hunt around to find Lumsden. Would have been nice to have had a summit chat, we weren't in as much of a hurry as it seemed!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland