walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Malky pioneers "Green Wellies Direct" in winter paradise

Malky pioneers "Green Wellies Direct" in winter paradise

Postby Jaxter » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:40 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Tom Bailgeann

Date walked: 10/02/2021

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 250m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was freezing (still), I was feeling rubbish (still - but not quite as rubbish as the week before - yay!), there was snow and ice on the roads (still) but we figured we'd venture out for a cycle with a potential wander in the middle. We headed up the hill - the road was surprisingly free of ice and when the sun was shining it was warmer than expected.

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh looked spectacular

Across Loch Ness to Carn a' Bhodaich

The top of Ben Wyvis poking out - it was truly a winter wonderland 8)

It was a tough ride (for broken Jaxter) but we finally made it to the Tom Bailgeann track. We had a breather and locked up the bikes. Malky had carried up my boots for me (what a gent) so after a footwear change, we headed slowly up the track. The views down Loch Duntelchaig were incredible 8)

We were worried that the track might been covered in waist deep snow (which would have been a no-go for me), but luckily there had been a vehicle as well as a good amount of feet up and down the track.

There was a lot of ice hiding just underneath the surface so we had to take a lot of care. It was also really hard work - snow, ice and steep!

Looking back - beautiful 8)

Looking towards Loch Ruthven (also covered in snow) and the other Strathnairn hills

After a few slow zig-zags we came across a section where the snow had drifted - this looked impossible for me, although very pretty...

We decided to follow some footprints heading straight up. Malky stamped his way through (using his appropriate winter mountaineering footwear :lol: ) and named the climb "Green Wellies Direct" :lol:

It was steep, and the top bit was awkward, but probably better than wading through the drifts, and we got good views!

We were now on the next level and all the snow was deep. It was really tough going, even with Malky making footsteps - even step was a challenge.

Finally nearing the top, we could see Loch Duntelchaig far below

Malky and his wellies charging on

Reaching the top we weren't disappointed. Despite my exhaustion (and the knowledge that we had to get all the way home) the views were totally worth it as we looked further south towards Torness and then Loch Ness

Glen Affric hills

Strathfarrar munros and Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard

The hills above Dumnaglass on the edge on the Monadhliath

Loch Ness and Carn a' Bhodaich

Affric & Strathfarrar hills, with the Fannaichs in the distance to the right - it was a crystal clear day 8)

Looking back towards Inverness

Looking straight across the loch

South down the loch

Jaxtering 8)

It was time to head down - despite the sun, the temperature was below freezing and was set to drop A LOT :shock:

Heading down was a bit easier than the ascent, but the snow was still deep and hard work...

Reversing "Green Wellies Direct" seemed like the obvious way back and after that the ground was a bit easier (although now even icier!) The evening light looked amazing, but was a sign of MORE COLD coming :shock:

Malky trying to stay off the ice

And enjoying the views

Loch Duntelchaig...almost down!

Back at the bikes we had another breather and footwear change for me, before heading off on the bikes. We wanted the quickest and easiest route down, which was reversing our outward route. Unfortunately it was so cold that my back brake had frozen (not really ideal before a big descent :shock:

As we stopped to breath a bit of warmth into frozen fingers, the sunset was superb 8)

By this point it was unbearably cold, and only having one working brake meant no wiggling fingers. I had to stop several times to get some life back into my fingers!

By the time we got home I was shivering uncontrollably and it took a long time to warm up. The temperature dropped to -15 overnight (although colder in other areas; -23 in Braemar!!) so not an evening to be out late :lol:

Snowy_Tom_Bailgeann.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cycle: 30.27km, 370m ascent, 2 hours 15 mins

activity_6251325190.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Malky pioneers "Green Wellies Direct" in winter paradise

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:22 pm

'S math a rinn sibh ...well done and on a nice wee hill just along the road from my daughters place :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Malky pioneers "Green Wellies Direct" in winter paradise

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:04 pm

Oh, that beautiful white stuff! Boy, do I miss it with this wretched lockdown.

Still, reading this and ogling the pics greatly improved my day! Thanks.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland