walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na h-Easgainn in winter conditions: Take 2

Carn na h-Easgainn in winter conditions: Take 2

Postby malky_c » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:25 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na h-Easgainn

Date walked: 09/02/2021

Time taken: 2.2 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Carn na h-Easgainn.
Date: 09/02/2021.
Distance: 6 km.
Ascent: 310m.
Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes.
Weather: Cold, sunny.

I'd taken a couple of days off for half-term week as the weather looked pretty good for February. No great anticipation of going anywhere too exciting, but conditions looked pretty good for Carn na h-Easgainn yet again. I wouldn't normally post so many reports on this hill, but I ended up with some of the best photos I'm likely to get this winter :lol: . I had also finally got around to buying a proper camera, a mere 3 years after losing my previous one. Phone snaps have worked out fine for illustrating walk reports for the most part since then, but they don't stand up very well to close scrutiny when zoomed in on.

Parking up at the usual spot just off the A9, there were already 3 or 4 other cars present - Carn na h-Easgainn is getting a new-found popularity just now! We went up by the normal route, observing that we were pretty much the only people not on skis today.

Near Lynemore

Allt na Loinne Moire

Meall Mor

Carn nan Tri-tighearnan

Loch Moy

Carn na Loinne

Cool snow

Plenty of skiers about

Every time it snows I consider getting some touring skis, but as usual I hadn't actually done anything about it, and when we looked online later we decided we couldn't really justify the hundreds of pounds we'd need to spend for a decent setup. Knew I should have bought some second hand kit from ebay when there was less snow around! Much like bikes last April, skis have been flying off the shelves this winter and any good deals have long gone.

Meall Mor again

Zoom across Brin Rock towards Affric

After a snack break at the summit, I briefly scouted out the southern descent route towards Tomatin and decided that the snow was far too deep to be worth the hassle - best stick to going back the way we came (skis would of course have made the circuit a possibility).

Summit

This guy forgot to bring along the skins for his skis...

Strolling back down, we were glad we had bothered. I've been up Carn na h-Easgainn so many times now that I struggle to work up the motivation to go there when I'm at home. I doubt I've ever regretted it once there though, and today was no exception.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland