walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cycling to Tom Bailgeann again

Cycling to Tom Bailgeann again

Postby malky_c » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Tom Bailgeann

Date walked: 10/02/2021

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 220m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: Tom Bailgeann.
Date: 10/02/2021.
Distance: 3 km.
Ascent: 220m.
Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Weather: Still, sunny and very cooooold!
Part of a 19 mile cycle

Another unimaginative report of a route we had only last done 2 or 3 weeks previously. However, like Carn na h-Easgainn yesterday, the weather and scenery were so good it is worth another report!

We've been pretty lucky with winter weather in the Highlands this year -not only has there been snow on the ground in Inverness almost continuously for the last 6 weeks, but the winds have generally been light and there has been quite a lot of sunshine. Still, the temperatures had been pretty extreme - I'd got far too used to the last couple of mild winters. While we had strong sunshine today, the temperature barely crept above freezing and was due to drop to about minus 16 later in the night :shock:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cycling in these conditions - probably stupid!

Despite my road being under a covering of snow, the minor road up past Loch Ashie was beautifully clear of snow and ice, and despite the tedious hill, we made reasonable time cycling out to Tom Bailgeann. At this point we weren't even sure we would walk up the hill - a continuation of our regular cycling loop round past Loch Ruthven was also an option. But it was far too good not to at least try.

Across Drumashie Moor to Carn a' Bodaich

Ben Wyvis

Frozen Loch Ashie

Near Loch Ashie

Loch Duntelchaig

Creag nan Clag on the right

Looking NE up Loch Duntelchaig

I had cycled up in wellies - becoming my usual attire just now, and intended to walk in them as well. I had carried Jackie's winter boots up as she doesn't like cycling in them, so I waited while she changed into them. We thought that deep snow might turn us back, but there had been enough quad bike traffic on the track that watching out for the underlying ice was more of a concern.

Loch Duntelchaig

Creag nan Clag with the Monadhliath behind

End of Loch Duntelchaig

Higher up the track was drifted in so we took a steep shortcut. This seemed quite epic in wellies! Unlike our last visit, the views from the summit this time were wide ranging and spectacular.

Steep bit

Monadhliath through a gap

Winter wonderland

Inverness

After a quick break at the radio mast and trig point, we waded through ankle deep snow to the western summit as it had better views up and down Loch Ness. Then it was back down the way we had come.

SW across Drumnadrochit to the Affric hills

Strathfarrar hills

Meall Fuar Mhonaidh

Edge of the Monadhliath

North end of Loch Ness

Drumnadrochit with Affric and Cannich hills behind

On the western summit

Carn na h-Easgainn

Loch Duntelchaig

Zoom to Meall Mor

Brilliant late afternoon light

The light on the way back down was spectacular, but even with the sun dipping slightly, the temperature had dropped dramatically! We were chilly at the bikes so opted to just cycle back the same way as it was quickest. Jackie's back brake had frozen up and my hands and toes had never been so cold on the final descent into Inverness.

Sunset to the SW

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh from Drumashie Moor

Once home, it took us about an hour to warm up, and true to form the temperature dropped way down overnight. A thaw was on the way at the weekend but the winter had saved the coldest bit for last!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland