walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Castle Hill, Abington

Castle Hill, Abington

Postby Robertgee » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:52 pm

Date walked: 22/02/2021

Distance: 8.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2021-02-22 @ 08-23-57.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As the weather was to be good, I decided to get out to try to get a bit of exercise during this never ending lockdown. I headed to some hills that are very local to me, but I've never ventured to before...the hills of southern Lanarkshire. :clap:

I'd come up with a nice five mile circuit near Abington going over Castle Hill at about 1580 feet high, so not on many lists. But this meant it would be a good quiet walk seeing few, if any, other walkers...just what I was looking for, as I actively try to avoid all human contact during these difficult times. :(

From the small parking area I headed up the valley of the Raggengill Burn, soon joining an old road (now just a grass path), which follows the course of an old Roman Road (Watling Street) from Carlisle to Edinburgh.

01-Raggengill Hill and Castle Hill.jpg
Raggengill Hill and Castle Hill from the car park

13-Old road following Roman Road.jpg
Old Roman Road

Left the old road near it’s high point to climb the pathless slopes of Raggengill Hill. It was quite dull and cloudy to start with, but this cleared quickly from the west to give blue skies and sunshine. The views really opened up as height was gained. The actual summit of Raggengill Hill was horrendous to walk on, as the thick grassy vegetation didn’t look deep, but with each step it went half way up to my knee, my foot just kept sinking in deeper and deeper with each step, making for slow progress. Great all round views from here along the Clyde Valley.

23-Tewsgill Hill.jpg
Tewsgill Hill

24-River Clyde from Raggengill Hill.jpg
River Clyde

26-Along the Clyde Valley to Harleburn Head, Rodger Law and Lady Cairn from Raggengill Hill.jpg
Along Clyde Valley towards Crawford

28-Lowther Hills and Castle Hill from Raggengill Hill.jpg
Lowther Hills and Castle Hill

33-Castle Hill and Ravengill Dod from Raggengill Hill.jpg
Castle Hill and Ravengill Dod

34-Camps Reservoir and the Culter Hills from Southwood Rig.jpg
Camps Reservoir and the Culter Hills

The walking soon improved and I found a few quad tracks to make for easy going to reach the summit of Castle Hill. More great all round views in some beautiful weather.

43-Tewsgill Hill, Rome Hill and the Culter Hills from Castle Hill.jpg
Tewsgill Hill, Rome Hill and the Culter Hills

49-Tinto and Raggengill Hill from Castle Hill.jpg
Tinto and Raggengill Hill

51-Tewsgill Hill, Rome Hill and the Culter Hills from Castle Hill.jpg
Tewsgill Hill, Rome Hill and the Culter Hills

53-Along the Clyde Valley to Harleburn Head, Rodger Law and Lady Cairn from Castle Hill.jpg
Clyde Valley

57-Abington and the Clyde Valley from Castle Hill.jpg
Abington and the Clyde Valley

Next it was the start of the return journey, heading down to Castle Hill’s west top to begin with, good views over Abington and the Clyde Valley.

65-Clyde Valley and Tinto from Castle Hill west top.jpg
Clyde Valley and Tinto

67-Raggengill Hill and Castle Hill from Castle Hill west top.jpg
View back to Raggengill Hill and Castle Hill

73-Craighead Hill, Abington and Tinto.jpg
Craighead Hill, Abington and Tinto

From here a grass track took me to a minor road, and the walk back to the car. If you want a shorter walk, it's okay to just head straight down to the road from Castle Hill's west top, there's a few quad tracks to help you find your way down.

76-Over the Clyde Valley to Ravengill Dod.jpg
Over the Clyde Valley to Ravengill Dod

79-Crawford Hills.jpg
Crawford Hills

83-Following road back to Abington.jpg
Road back to Abington

I never saw another person on the hills, but passed by three others out for a walk when following the road. Back at the car park, there were another 2 cars that had joined mine, so I wasn’t the only one out here to enjoy a walk. A great little walk in lovely weather, only downside was the constant drone of traffic on the M74 motorway down in the valley...I never got away from it during the entire walk. So lets hope we can all soon get out and about to enjoy the Scottish countryside...I've been missing it so very much, and as a result, getting more unfit every day. :lol: Time to start doing this more often now and reverse the trend. :D
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Re: Castle Hill, Abington

Postby gld73 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:50 am

If I ever get round to visiting my parents in Cumbria again (it's been a long time since I could travel over the border!), I pass by Abington - so this could be a handy route for me to bear in mind when I want to break up the long drive with a walk, thanks :)
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland