walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Autumn Days and Ice Cream on Colonsay and Oronsay

Autumn Days and Ice Cream on Colonsay and Oronsay

Postby Anne C » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:16 pm

Route description: Oronsay and the Strand

Date walked: 28/09/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ImageKiloran Bay by Anne C, on Flickr

It had always niggled me that on our only trip to Colonsay 20 years ago(scary how quickly this time has passed :shock: ) we had never got over to the tidal island of Oronsay with its beautiful 14th century ruined abbey, built by John, Lord of the Isles. Neither had we climbed Colonsay’s highest hill overlooking spectacular Kiloran Bay, one of the Hebrides loveliest stretches of sand. With some time for a short trip away, Colonsay called us and in late September we set sail from Oban on the stunning 2 hour 15 min journey to the island’s tiny ‘capital’ , Scalasaig.

For lunch on board The Clansman, we'd bought some carry out food from Oban’s famous Seafood Shack on the pier - 5 huge, freshly cooked scallops in garlic butter and the biggest Prawn Marie Rose sandwich I’ve ever seen. There was enough protein packed into that lunch to last us the whole weekend!

ImageThe pier and the shellfish shop by Anne C, on Flickr

Down we sailed past Kerrera and our walk of the previous day...

ImageKerrera - our previous day's walk by Anne C, on Flickr

Then we drew closer to the isolated east coast of Mull which I thought looked gorgeous...

ImageMull's lonely eastern shores by Anne C, on Flickr

ImageMull in autumn colours by Anne C, on Flickr

...and past the rocky Garvellachs...

ImageThe Garvellachs by Anne C, on Flickr

Three or four dolphins suddenly broke furiously through the surface of the sea, on the hunt. The usual mad panic to focus the camera - I only managed one and even that was 'just.'

ImageDolphins on the hunt off Mull by Anne C, on Flickr

Then the Paps of Jura loomed, still wrapped in the cloud which had brought rain last night and this morning.

ImageJura and the Paps by Anne C, on Flickr

Islay was clearing a little too...

ImageJura and Islay (right) by Anne C, on Flickr

At 2.30pm, we pulled into pretty Scalasaig harbour. It was Monday afternoon and there was no ferry now until Wed at 3.30pm.We were marooned - but in a good way :D The cloud had cleared spectacularly now too - blue skies reigned.

ImageThe harbour by Anne C, on Flickr

We had the car this trip and after we unloaded everything including the kitchen sink :roll: at the Colonsay House Apartments, I couldn't wait to see Kiloran Bay under sunny skies - it was only a 10 minute walk away.

ImageKiloran from the high road by Anne C, on Flickr

The sand is unusual, almost orange in some light and striking against the turquoise sea and the pounding surf. The whole place is enhanced by being overlooked by the island’s highest hill – Carn nan Eoin or the Hill of the Birds. That was tomorrow's plan after we had crossed the tidal sands to Oronsay. We could have wheeched up the hill today but we'd had a couple of days of Munro bagging and a walk round Kerrera the day before; I think we both just wanted to relax and enjoy some quiet time on the beach :D

ImageKiloran by Anne C, on Flickr

At the far end, we came across the absolutely enormous remains of a Fin whale, the second largest animal on Earth, just its bleached bones left on the grass. It was washed up in 2017.

ImageWhale remains, Kiloran by Anne C, on Flickr

We finished the afternoon with a walk up the high road above the beach.It was just such a glorious autumn afternoon, there wasn't anywhere I would rather have been than overlooking those beautiful sands.

We strolled back to our cosy abode for the next 2 nights (Turnigill Apartment) and had a wander round Colonsay House’s gardens, with their slightly exotic feel. There were lots of blue hydrangeas still in bloom though we were too late for the rhododendrons, considered (we were told) to be the finest collection in Scotland. Our apartment windows were in the attic floor of the main house and overlooked the grounds.

ImageColonsay House and our apartment, Turnigill by Anne C, on Flickr

With a good forecast for tomorrow and the Tide Tables suggesting low tide at 11.30am, my longed for walk over to Oronsay looked ‘on.’ :D This was actually quite lucky because during the previous 4 days it had been impossible to access the island due to very high tides. How long you have on Oronsay varies every day – tomorrow, we would have 3 hours get across and back and explore.It can be longer than this but 3 hours sounded pretty good.

We woke to beautiful blue skies and left a good hour earlier than planned. Chris reckoned that we could try setting off at 9.30am :shock: hoping that the areas of water which remain even a lowest tide, would be shallow enough to wade through. All I can say is the words of the song proved true - 'if it wisnae for our wellies what would we do?' - well, we would have had very wet feet :roll: The Estate offers these for guests to use and they were far better than our hiking boots.

There was one other car in the small parking area - ye gods, someone else had had a similar brainwave to squeeze a bit more time out of the day. At the start of the strand, we could see the tyre tracks of the Postal Van which makes the crossing to Oronsay every day and which marks the easiest route. On the island itself there is also a tall post with a wee reflector (for vehicles crossing in the dark!) which helps you set your course too.

ImageLow tide crossing to Oronsay by Anne C, on Flickr

There’s something quite special (and slightly stressful) about setting off to reach a tidal island, knowing time is limited. We were wading almost immediately and this continued on and off, the water nearly over the wellies in places. But in 15 mins we were across and had caught up with the other couple, the lady having crossed in walking boots which were now absolutely soaking. She wasn't very happy, to put it mildly ( I don't know why she just didn't take the boots off and go barefoot. :?: ) Her husband had open sandals on bare feet, much more practical. Chatted briefly and she nodded towards my own footwear – ‘that’s what I need!’ she announced, eyeing up my black wellies. Commiserating with her, we walked on, as she stayed perched on a rock, wringing her socks out. We planked the wellies behind some boulders further along the shore and out of sight – valuable commodities in this environment :lol: Then on with the walking boots, a lot more comfortable for the 10km circular walk that lay ahead.

ImageHeading back to the tidal crossing by Anne C, on Flickr

It was now a perfect, early autumn day of sunshine and blue skies, the landscape already turning tawny and gold. Oronsay has swathes of flattish grasslands and machair and is ringed by some lovely white shell sand beaches. It’s a very arable island – the monks knew good land when they saw it - and it reminded me of the Uists. The island is owned by an American lady but managed by the RSPB and although we were too late in the season, Corncrakes breed there and there are also Choughs. We were lucky in spotting a Peregrine Falcon near the Priory, racing across the sky but quite low down, as if on the hunt. Chris also saw a Merlin which I missed and we both watched, briefly, a female Hen Harrier with her distinctive, slightly jerky flight, dipping and rising over the fields as she looked for lunch.

ImageHen harrier by Anne C, on Flickr

ImagePeregrine by Anne C, on Flickr

An excellent track took us to Oronsay Farm and the ancient and very beautiful Priory itself, where we explored the superb collection of 14th century buildings and two Celtic carved crosses, one of which was over 3m high. One small building housed warrior grave slabs and slabs with the intricate carvings of past Priors. It was a superb place altogether.
The farm is also where Oronsay’s five residents live, in a beautiful and very pristine collection of stone buildings – complete with duck pond!

ImageOronsay Priory by Anne C, on Flickr

ImageCloisters by Anne C, on Flickr

ImageGrave slabs by Anne C, on Flickr

The beach and lunch beckoned and off we set, through gates marked in yellow that helpfully signpost the correct route through fields of cows, sheep and crops. Oronsay is a very walker-friendly island. The white sands of Port na Luinge - the Port of the Galley - were glorious to arrive on and we found a sheltered corner at the far end out of the wind.

ImageBeach at the Priory by Anne C, on Flickr

I was ready for tea and the coronation chicken sandwiches we made up from last night’s roast chicken. It really was an idyllic spot, utterly peaceful and unspoiled. Columba is believed to have landed on Oronsay but because he could still see Ireland (just visible on a very clear day apparently) he set sail again until he reached Iona.

ImageBothy by Anne C, on Flickr

After 40 mins or so we forced ourselves to get on the move again, passing a nice little bothy above the beach then across the fields to another longer stretch of shell sand. A strange keening sound rose above the sound of the waves lapping on the shore - then we spied what it was - Grey Atlantic seals singing on an offshore islet.Quite an eerie sound - no wonder at night sailors thought there were mermaids :shock: , they sound almost human at times.

ImageNext beach at Seal Cottage by Anne C, on Flickr

There are up to 1,000 seals breeding in Oronsay’s myriad offshore skerries and islets. Their soft high pitched moaning was the only sound here, apart from the soft crunch of the surf. A nice stone cottage – appropriately named Seal Cottage on the map – sat behind the beach on the machair though a careful peek inside revealed it to be empty.

We wandered along the beach a little, admiring the views to Jura which I think is one of my favourite in Scotland - such a beautiful outline. Then along a track taking us through a field and past a shell midden marked on the map, left by Mesolithic people and evidence that the island was lived in 7,000 years ago.

ImageJura by Anne C, on Flickr

ImageRuin, Oronsay by Anne C, on Flickr

Back near the marker post at The Strand, Chris headed off to the rocks to retrieve our hidden wellies (stilll there!) and off we set back to the car. I’d almost forgotten how much fun it is to deliberately splash through water – 62 years of age going on 6! No wonder children can’t resist it – I still couldn’t!

ImageWellies still needed by Anne C, on Flickr

There were quite a few other cars parked now. That said, we only saw 2 other couples the whole time we were there.
We were just heading off when a large bird broke the skyline of a low ridge - it was a Golden Eagle. I was amazed to see it, not imagining that tiny Colonsay had the terrain or concentration of prey to sustain such a bird. And then a second bird appeared, soaring over the ridge and joining its sibling or partner. What a sight! We did wonder whether they were Sea Eagles, which are more common, but the photos I managed (such as they were, not sharp) revealed the golden head.

ImageGolden eagle near the crossing point by Anne C, on Flickr

It was 1pm now and a little climb up Colonsay’s highest hill was now in prospect.We would need a bit of extra energy for that so first of all, it was time to return to Colonsay Estate’s Garden Café and sample my favourite snack of the day – home-made cake!

ImageP1110846.jpg by Anne C, on Flickr

The Garden Café is a lovely wee set up which seems to draw people from all over Colonsay – usually a sign of good food. We sat on the terrace , sheltered from the nippy wind and enjoying the glorious warmth of the late Sept sunshine. It’s a delightful place altogether and even more so was their (huge) Millionaire’s Shortbread which Chris demolished and my Chocolate Fudge cake. Definitely homemade, excellent stuff.

A final little effort awaited this afternoon – the hopefully short clamber up Carnan Eoin or The Rocky Top of the Birds.

ImageKiloran and Carnan Eoin hill which we climbed. by Anne C, on Flickr

The weather was still holding as we made our way to the end of Kiloran Bay again and followed a rough but clear track up the Hill of the Birds. In 10 minutes we were at the small, rocky top with gorgeous views over the sands and out to Mull, Jura and Tiree.

ImageA 10 min climb by Anne C, on Flickr

ImageOn the summit - Jura by Anne C, on Flickr

Behind the next bay, we could also see the stone sculpture of a whale which is being created with boulders and pebbles, a very impressive outline on the grass.

ImageThe Whale Sculpture from the summit by Anne C, on Flickr

ImageMull from the summit by Anne C, on Flickr

A difficult summit to leave, Carn nan Eoin, but already we could see the day beginning to change with thin cloud building in the south and in fact a couple of hours later, the rain was rattling on the roof of our apartment and it kept up for most of the next day.

ImageAbove the beach on a good track by Anne C, on Flickr

But how lucky we were to have that window of weather and the right tide, for our one full day here. The heavy rain next day put paid to my final idea of doing the 6 mile return walk to the north coast beach at Balnahard which I've yet to see. One final thrilling sighting of a sea eagle as we made our way to Scalasaig - it was sitting on a rock close to the road and took off when I footered around too long trying to get a photo :(

ImageP1110909.jpg by Anne C, on Flickr

How to spend a couple of hours waiting for the ferry in the rain?Well, we thought we better mull that 'problem' over a coffee and some home made Colonsay Honey Ice Cream , a local speciality. It was amazing stuff, with a real taste of clover about it (I bought a jar of the honey and even now, when I open the lid, the scent of wildflowers is strong.) Now in lazy mode and after a short, damp wander through the village and up to the church, we somehow found our legs taking us to the lovely Isle of Colonsay hotel where lunch was being served.D Excellent it was too.
I did feel a bit disappointed not to get to Balnahard but what a great excuse - if one were needed - to return to this little gem of an island.

ImageLeaving Colonsay by Anne C, on Flickr
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Re: Autumn Days and Ice Cream on Colonsay and Oronsay

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:39 pm

Really enjoyed your words and photos. Spend many of my childhood years holidaying on Colonsay,

Last time I was there was 35+ years ago, yet everything looks exactly as I remember it. It seemed that every year our holiday consisted of the same walks - Balnahard, Ardskenish, Pigs Paradise, Loch an Sgoltaire - But the highlight was always the walk across the Strand to Oronsay, we were not allowed to set off until we could see the tops of the seaweed at the mid point, and then it was boots off and away. As kids, we used to frighten ourselves in the Priory, imagining skeletons!

I remember climbing the hill on the far side of Loch Fada, scrambling up the scree and disturbing an eagle as we reached the top and seeing the Pier, that looks exactly the same now as it was then, bought back memories of catching my first ever fish from the jetty.

Lovely to see the old house, once again unchanged apart from the addition of a tea room. I keep planning to go back, this report has helped that decision.

Thanks
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby Anne C » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:07 am

Thanks Avocetboy - what a lovely story! I can imagine the priory would have been very spooky to children. Most of our family holidays when I was young were on Cumbrae (Millport), not quite so wild as Colonsay but a magical place to me because it was a small island, with all sorts of chances to explore and roam.That was especially the case given I lived in the heart of Glasgow.
Good to know you might get out to Colonsay again soon. It certainly hasn't changed much since our first visit 20 years ago though the hotel has been done up and is really lovely inside.The tea room at Colonsay House is a cracker and well worth a visit!
Anne C
Walker

Postby Bruno » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 am

Another lovely report, Anne. These reports and wonderful photos really take the reader on the journey with you. Such a beautiful area.
Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:00 am

More mouth-watering images of Hebridean islands. Love them. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:10 am

What a great few days 8) . I have been to Colonsay once, for a few hours,but this report has sent it to the top of the destination list for this year....hopefully with a wander over to Oronsay too. Really enjoyed your photos from the ferry on the way out (not to mention the ones on the island itself!)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Anne C » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:14 am

Bruno wrote:Another lovely report, Anne. These reports and wonderful photos really take the reader on the journey with you. Such a beautiful area.
Iain

Thanks Bruno - really glad you enjoyed it.They are wee gems of islands.

dogplodder wrote:More mouth-watering images of Hebridean islands. Love them. 8)

dogplodder - glad you enjoyed the photos. Yes, it's difficult to beat being on an island on a gorgeous sunny day!

malky_c wrote:What a great few days 8) . I have been to Colonsay once, for a few hours,but this report has sent it to the top of the destination list for this year....hopefully with a wander over to Oronsay too. Really enjoyed your photos from the ferry on the way out (not to mention the ones on the island itself!)

Many thanks Malky and lovely to know it's inspired you to visit - I hope you and Jackie manage to get over there this year.It's a beautiful place, and I was particularly taken with the sail too - that east side of Mull is stunning.I can see why people go back to Colonsay year after year.Just watch the tide tables well in advance if planning a Colonsay visit are there are multiple days when getting to Oronsay doesn't work at all.I hadn't realised that!
Anne C
Walker

Postby Verylatestarter » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:07 pm

A wonderful report Ann, thanks for sharing that.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Postby Anne C » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:42 pm

Many thanks John, great to know you enjoyed the report!
Anne C
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland