walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spring is in the air: Glen Strathfarrar

Spring is in the air: Glen Strathfarrar

Postby malky_c » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:36 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Innis an Loichel

Date walked: 27/02/2021

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 1.5 km

Ascent: 140m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: Meall Innis an Loichel.
Date: 27/02/2021.
Distance: 1.5 km.
Ascent: 140m.
Time: 1 hour.
Weather: Warm and sunny, with cool westerly wind.
Plus a 28 mile cycle.

February this year has been the most neatly divided month I can remember in the Highlands - exactly two weeks of extremely low temperatures and snow followed by exactly two weeks of mild spring weather and storms. Saturday was possibly the most spring-like day yet, with sunshine, lower winds and temperatures creeping into double figures. We decided it would be the perfect opportunity to finally cycle up Glen Strathfarrar and nip up Meall Innis an Loichel above the Monar Dam - something we were going to do right at the start of the year, just as the snow and ice swept in.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parking up at the infamous gate just outside Struy, we were in the company of a dozen other cars - probably the busiest I have ever seen the carpark. Outside the warmer season, the only way to get car access to the glen is via Mountaineering Scotland membership - no idea whether this is even possible currently. It didn't bother us (or any of the other dozen or so folk we met in the glen) as we were cycling.

ImageBeinn a Bhach Ard from Inchmore

We set off in early afternoon and were shedding layers almost immediately. While the breeze still wasn't that warm, any bit of road in the sunshine was and after a couple of small ascents we were sweating.

ImageStarting our cycle up the glen

ImageAonach na Reise

ImageWest across Loch Beannacharan to Sgurr na Lapaich

ImageLoch a Mhuilidh

The wind forecast hadn't been looking too bad, but as it was funnelled directly down the glen towards us, we felt it on every turn of the pedals. This tired Jackie out quicker than expected, and she was desperate for a break by the time we reached Loch a' Mhuilidh. Sitting by the loch and sheltering from the wind was lovely - probably the first time we've been able to enjoy a break without multiple gloves and jackets this year. Some noises on the crag above made me look up, then try and zoom in with my camera to see what the moving dot was. Turns out it was a couple of goats on the cliff-face.

ImageCreag a Charnais...

Image....with goat prowling around on a ledge

We passed more goats before passing into the upper part of the glen. Glen Strathfarrar is one of the loveliest glens in the highlands, and once you round the corner after Loch a' Mhuilidh, the floor has a lovely open feel to it. Sgurr na Lapaich towered overhead.

ImageThe upper glen with Beinn Dubh an Iarainn and Beinn na Muice prominent

ImageClosing in on Meall Innis an Loichel

The hill at the end was a bit of a bugger - Jackie didn't particularly enjoy it (especially the bit where we lost half of the height we just gained before the final slope up to the dam :lol: ). We took some photos at the dam before continuing a short distance to a suitable start point for the hill. Jackie had a little lie-down in the middle of the road at this point.

ImageLast bit of road up to the Monar Dam

ImageMonar Dam

ImageCycling across the Monar Dam

ImageBeinn na Muice and Monar Dam

Then it was onto the hill, which was easy enough ground, but extremely wet and slippy after the snowmelt. I hadn't really thought ahead, so was going to enjoy wet trainers while Jackie had cycled in her waterproof trail shoes. It only took us 20 minutes to get to the top, where I was impressed to get a decent view of Maoile Lunndaidh. I thought this would be hidden due to a bend in Loch Monar and our best view of it would be the glimpse we got from the dam, but thankfully I was wrong. You are also right up under Sgurr na Lapaich, but this had drifting cloud around it - impressive but not easy to get decent pictures of.

ImageCarn Eiteige above Monar Lodge

ImageWest along Loch Monar...

Image....with a zoom to Maoile Lunndaidh

ImageWest from Meall Innis an Loichel

ImageMonar Lodge and the dam from the summit

ImageEast down Glen Strathfarrar - Sgurr na Diollad in the distsance

It was a day of feeling knackered at every turn for Jackie today - she had felt quite positive at the car, but possibly the nice weather had persuaded her to do more than she should have done (I am also no help here). We had a longer break at the summit than it took us to get up, only leaving when the wind became too cold, and somehow avoiding falling on our arses, we made it back to the bikes in about 15 minutes.

ImageThe happiest that Jaxter has looked all day

ImageMonar Dam and Beinn na Muice

With the wind behind us and heading largely downhill, the cycle back was much easier, however Jackie was having a hard time of it so we stopped a couple of times.

ImageSilhouette of Meall Innis an Loichel

ImageEvening light near Loch Beannacharan

ImageLoch Beanacharann

ImageFake stag and real stag

ImageHills on the north side of the glen

In the last 20 minutes or so, the sun had just dipped behind the horizon and the warmth immediately disappeared. We were glad to get back to the car before getting too cold. Regardless of fitness levels and knackeredness, we had both really enjoyed the day - the sunshine and (mostly) mild temperatures had lifted our spirits, as had getting to somewhere remote-feeling in the middle of the mountains (although Struy is only 20 miles from home, it is the first place we have walked or cycled this year where we haven't been able to see the paper mill out at Morayhill on the A96 at some point during the day)!

A massive moon on the drive home rounded out the day nicely.

ImageMoonrise above Beauly
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland