walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Oss, will i ever see you again ?

Ben Oss, will i ever see you again ?

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig

Date walked: 06/03/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 985m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

3_6_2011 9_20_18 AM_history.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

my 2nd attempt to bag Ben Oss ended in failure today :( i attempted both dubhcraig and oss last year on my own and once i was on ben oss i had to turn back because of heavy hail stones. so i was out to rectify that today with my mate bigzane . we set off at half 9ish and although it was slightly cold the outlook looked good. we headed along the path and over the railway bridge to the little arrow shaped stone cairn which pointed the way to the rickety old bridge across the river.
001.JPG
bigzane on bridge

we then took the high path which was a bit drier than the lower one and slowly made our way up through the forest.
it was a nice walk up and we chatted away and stopped for snacks just before the waterfall
006.JPG
waterfall

as we headed towards the ridge there was plenty of snow patches around and the low lying cloud on the summit seemed to be coming down on top of us. i was beginning to realise that ben oss was again off the menu. there were a few other walkers on the hill who seemed to drift in and out of the mist like ghosts
013.JPG
ghostly figures

after drifting off the path for a bit we made our way to the top, made a brew and chatted to 3 other walkers (one a wh member, sorry, forgot ur username) and had a wee sit in their shelter before heading down.
017.JPG
bigzane and me

019.JPG
shelter

so congratulations to bigzane on his 2nd munro and as for ben oss, mabe next year !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Oss, will i ever see you again ?

Postby gagfax » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 pm

I was one of those ghosts :D Nice to meet you at the summit and have a laugh in the big orange bag. Pity about the lack of views. Look who's that behind me? 8)

8)
gagfax

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

ha ha, gagfax that`s it , yeah the views weren`t so good, i did see you takin that pic at the time and remember thinkin, "ah, it`s not just me that takes pics of myself", lol, nice to meet u mate , 90 munros so far, well done as you can see i`m just startin out :D
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 pm

How much snow is there on Oss and Dhubcraig tomyboy73,looking to climb these two this weekend coming, weather permiting,will be on my tod for this as my usual walking buddies have all done them
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:52 pm

hi gammy, once you get near the upper ridge leading to both peaks there are a lot of snow patches which are quite hard packed and slidy. nearer the top of dubhcraig there is a lot of snow and would recommend crampons etc, which i don`t have so is possible without them. as for ben oss i don`t know because visibility was non existant, but i imagine it`s much the same. good luck :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Nice report. Shame about the mist though, as the views are worth the trudge through the quagmire at the start.

There seems to have been a real thaw since my aborted attempt three weekends ago when the summit was a white blanket and then my return a week later in the sunshine where the thaw throughout the day was really noticeable. I would imagine that any decent ice would be hanging around for some time yet though, and the route I took onto Oss was steep in places on the ice (but more than manageable with crampons).
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:36 pm

PeteR wrote:Nice report. Shame about the mist though, as the views are worth the trudge through the quagmire at the start.

There seems to have been a real thaw since my aborted attempt three weekends ago when the summit was a white blanket and then my return a week later in the sunshine where the thaw throughout the day was really noticeable. I would imagine that any decent ice would be hanging around for some time yet though, and the route I took onto Oss was steep in places on the ice (but more than manageable with crampons).

thanks, yeah the views are worth it. I had a decent day there last year, it actually snowed just before i got to the top but it all cleared when i was up there and i could see alround for miles. Once i was crossing the bealach to Oss it started to hail heavily and the path up was covered in snow so i decided to give it a by and head home, next time B.O, i`ll get ye :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland