walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A small slice of heaven (and a very broken Jaxter!)

A small slice of heaven (and a very broken Jaxter!)

Postby Jaxter » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:38 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Innis an Loichel

Date walked: 27/02/2021

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 1.24 km

Ascent: 130m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had been thinking about another trip down Strathfarrar, and when a beautiful sunny Saturday with lowish winds coincided with a day where I was feeling semi-reasonable (as days go with Long Covid) we thought we’d give it a shot 8) It was a short drive down the road and before long we were cycling past the rather ominous warning on the gate… :shock:

Beinn a’ Bha’ach Ard was looking lovely

Once we were through the initial trees we were out into the glen and able to see ahead 8)

We turned the corner and could see Sgurr na Lapaich across Loch Beannacharan

Sgurr na Lapaich zoomed

Sgurr na Diollaid

I was very tired – although the wind wasn’t hugely strong, it was against us and I was finding it tough. So we had a wee break in the sun for some tea and snacks. The views across Loch a’ Mhuillidh were awesome 8)

I got the zoom lens out to see what was scrambling around on the rocks – goats and sheep as it turned out – and also got some shots of the Strathfarrar pigeon (or whatever bird this is!)

After a while we got going again – although it was beautiful in the sun and so much warmer than recently – it was still chilly! As the road turned yet again, we could see back across the loch and down the glen 8)

Soon we could see the end of the glen – the bulk of Beinn na Muice on the right, with our possible hill pointy yet just visible of the left

Sgurr na Lapaich and Meall Innis an Loichel

Sgurr na Lapaich

Getting to the business end of the glen and the steep climb up to the dam. I was flagging pretty hard here…

Finally we were there – the Monar Dam

Looking down Loch Monar to Maoile Lunndaidh

Looking back down the glen from the dam

Almost there….

We pedalled a few more metres up the road before I got off my bike and lay down. I’d had enough! We definitely needed a break, and what better place to be?

Monar Dam and Beinn na Muice

Monar Lodge and Carn Eiteige (an impressive peak that apparently had a trig point on it!)

Once I’d regained some of my breath and felt less like death was on the cards (just yet!) we finished off the flask of tea and decided to have a try at the hill – it was only very little and the ground didn’t look too bad.

As it turned out, my waterproof trail shoes were exactly the thing for today – Malky had gone commando (in terms of waterproofing his feet :shock: and was regretting it. I was really struggling to begin with and wasn’t sure I was going to manage it, but slowly we made it the few metres to the summit…

The views were fabulous – I absolutely love this area and the feeling of remoteness was quite special. Although I was finding it really tough work (the return was to be even worse!) it felt wonderful to be somewhere like this 8)

Glen Strathfarrar – our return journey :shock: Now I know how Frodo felt when he got to Mordor :crazy:

Summit of Meall Innis an Locheil

Sgurr na Lapaich had clouded over but the light was kind of cool

We had yet another long break here, finding some shelter behind a rock, before retracing our steps downwards and trying to avoid sliding (a couple of near misses but nothing too spectacular :lol: ) and we spotted the next dam around which we’d missed on the way up

Back at the bikes we had another breather – the way back would have two advantages to the outward trip – it would be downhill on average and we would have the wind behind us. Even so, I wasn’t looking forward to it :lol:

A last look down Loch Monar

Monar Dam and Beinn na Muice

Last time we were here (January 2020, BC – Before Covid!) the road was icing up on the way back so at least we didn’t have that to worry about. Looking back to the dam, the light was coming through the trees 8)

Our route ahead

Looking back to Sgurr na Lapaich

“It’s so still, is it actually real?” – yes it was real, although what neither of us noticed at the time was there was a fake deer target behind :lol: :lol:

I was having a really rough time of it by the last 10km. I was shattered, my breathing was difficult and no amount of breaks or food or even my inhaler would help.

But at last we made it. I was completely out of it so fortunately Malky was driving. The moon was incredible (but didn’t really photograph well without a tripod) and I just wanted to go home and collapse in peace. Worth it – yes, but not really able to appreciate it until a couple of days later when I was a bit more alive :lol:

Meall_Innis_an_Loichel.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cycling: 45.14km, 435m ascent, 3 hours 55 mins

activity_6344912796.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A small slice of heaven (and a very broken Jaxter!)

Postby Sgurr » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 pm

Think you do get a smallish slice of heaven, in that the view from this Marilyn is the most restricted of views from any other Marilyn. Cycled up and down that glen once for the hills at the end, , and it was hard enough feeling well.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 am

Definitely a slice of heaven - captured in some superb pics.

The "pigeon" is a peregrine :D - always lovely to see.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Sgurr wrote:Think you do get a smallish slice of heaven, in that the view from this Marilyn is the most restricted of views from any other Marilyn. Cycled up and down that glen once for the hills at the end, , and it was hard enough feeling well.

Malky has related to me your tale - sounds like an epic :lol: It's a stunning cycle and an excellent hill, just a bit too much for me sadly. I think the best view I've seen down Loch Monar has to be from the west ridge of Beinn na Muice - we were up there pre-covid at the start of 2020. Quite something!

Alteknacker wrote:Definitely a slice of heaven - captured in some superb pics.

Thankyou! Peregrine sounds much more exotic than pigeon - excellent 8) 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:08 pm

What a beautiful day that was. How blessed are we living so close to this? Take care and enjoy the good days when they come. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:41 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Definitely a slice of heaven - captured in some superb pics.

Yes I thought that - but wasn't confident enough to say for certain
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby kevsbald » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:31 pm

Sorry to hear about the long Covid. Good to see you getting out again.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:37 pm

dogplodder wrote:What a beautiful day that was. How blessed are we living so close to this? Take care and enjoy the good days when they come. :D

Thankyou - yes we have definitely felt lucky for where we live recently!

kevsbald wrote:Sorry to hear about the long Covid. Good to see you getting out again.

Thanks - trying to enjoy the good days when they come :crazy:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Noheadforheights » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:21 pm

Great pics and report. For someone stuck in a Cheshire lockdown for the last 4 months they have been a most welcome tonic. Keep them coming and best wishes on a full recovery.
Noheadforheights
Mountain Walker

Munros:19   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:7+0
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:91
Wainwrights:96   Islands:17

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland