walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnoc Ceislein, circular route from Evanton

Cnoc Ceislein, circular route from Evanton

Postby gld73 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:13 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc Ceislein

Date walked: 27/02/2021

Time taken: 5.4 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 660m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With travelling afar to do new hills being off the cards just now, new routes close to home are the next best thing. I've only done Cnoc Ceislein from Fyrish before, so had a look at the map for another route which would take in Cnoc Ceislein and, as it was such a beautiful day, give a longer circular walk. This is (approximately) what I ended up doing:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked in the free car park off the main street in Evanton and continued along the street, past the caravan park, over the river and took the first left (the Glen Glass road). When the track bent left I continued straight ahead, which became a path into the woods. There's quite a network of trails through the forestry from this point. A sunny Saturday, so a few other walkers and mountain bikers were on the lower trails, though I didn't see anyone once I got higher up.
APDC7999.JPG
Leaving the tarmac and heading to the start of the forestry trails

APDC8000.JPG
Lower tracks had mountain bikers and other walkers and I thought it would be a busy day on my route ...but I barely saw a soul on the rest of the walk

APDC8001.JPG
Got a view of Fyrish monument as I made my way up through the forest

Had to get my map and compass out a handful of times at junctions, working out how to get to the track I was aiming for (the one which runs across the flank of Cnoc Ceislein - it's easier to find from Fyrish, though even then I vaguely recall getting a bit confused!). Fortunately I made it without any wrong turns, and headed up the snow covered track between Fyrish and Cnoc Ceislein, out of the forestry now. Not too many footprints on the track, and then none at all from when the track branched and I took the left to Cnoc Ceislein.
APDC8005.JPG
Leaving the tree cover behind and taking the track between Cnoc Ceislein and Fyrish hill

APDC8004.JPG
Fyrish over to the right

APDC8006.JPG
Cnoc Ceislein to the left

The summit is towards the northern end of the hill, so after making my way along the snowy track for a bit, I left it and headed up the heathery, snow-free slopes. It's surprising there's not a well worn path to the summit given how popular Fyrish is - you'd think more people would extend their walk to the main summit, but I'm not complaining, it makes it feel like a nice hill walk when you've got to walk up rough ground rather than taking a path. It's a lovely surprise getting up to the summit trig point and suddenly getting views of the hills beyond.
APDC8008.JPG
Gentle slope and low heather to head up the hill

APDC8009.JPG
Couldn't see any mountains on the way up, so it was lovely to come on to the summit area and suddenly get views

APDC8010.JPG
Towards Glen Glass and Ben Wyvis

APDC8011.JPG
Zoomed - Meall an Tuirc (L) and Bendealt (R) in the middle of the picture, Ben Wyvis behind

APDC8013.JPG
Looking back to the Cromarty Firth and Fyrish

Quickest way back to Evanton would have been back the way I'd come, but I wanted a longer walk, so could see tracks on the map which would take me to Glen Glass. I headed north east down the easy heather slopes again to rejoin the track further north than I'd left it on the way up and followed it down north. Quite hard going through the snow, so I ended up walking up on the heather again alongside the track until the snow ended. Not long after that, the track merged onto a section which became like a road, not tarmac, but more than a track used for the occasional Landrover certainly. The reason became clear when I reached the signs and substation for the Novar windfarm, this was obviously part of the access route when it had been under construction.
APDC8015.JPG
Descending north east

APDC8017.JPG
Back on the track, heading NW

APDC8019.JPG
Track visible again after the snow ...Novar Windfarm on the hills ahead

APDC8024.JPG
My OS map was a few years old so didn't have the substation marked. It wasn't the most scenic view on the walk...

From the substation, I went left, south towards Glen Glass, still on a good track (coming to Cnoc Ceislein this way from Evanton or Glen Glass would be a good cycle route). It wasn't the most interesting stretch of the walk, but the view over to the less-seen side of Cnoc Ceislein was good, it looked a more impressive hill from this side. The tops of the wind turbines of the Novar wind farm over the hill to the north / west were visible, but there are few walks in Scotland when wind turbines aren't in sight nowadays!
APDC8025.JPG
Heading south on the track to Glen Glass, the view back to the north is the graham Beinn Tharsuinn

APDC8028.JPG
Cnoc Ceislein from the west

APDC8031.JPG
Continuing down the track towards the rounded lump of Meall an Tuirc (the smaller of the 2 Meall an Tuirc's in this area)

APDC8033.JPG
Full length of Cnoc Ceislein

Eventually I reached the T-junction of tracks and went left, then the next right, to skirt around Meall an Tuirc (the 496m one, not the 625m one a bit further north) - from a distance it had looked like a nice wee hill to go up, but there was no obvious way from the part of the tracks I passed it on, so I didn't bother trying to battle through the forested slopes and just continued on down past a couple of houses and onto the single track Glen Glass road. I could have walked back to Evanton along it, it's quiet enough, just the occasional car passing along it, but my map showed a couple of places where tracks more or less parallel to the road could be followed, so I took these in a couple of places. The first of these was nice until it turned into a churned up mud bath (forestry equipment maybe?), but shortly after that quagmire it reached a big gate. The immaculate grass on the other side looked like it was part of the garden of the nearby house, but it is a track which runs between the houses and back to the road again.
APDC8035.JPG
Back on the Glen Glass road, came across this local

APDC8038.JPG
Could have stayed on the road, but I took a forestry track to the left

APDC8039.JPG
The track goes through a muddy stretch but then comes to this gate. Didn't look overly welcoming, but I climbed over it and the grassy track continues above the garden of the house before joining the driveway of a couple of houses at Redburn to go back to the road

APDC8040.JPG
Looking back once I'd got to the Glen Glass road (single track road here on the left), this is the driveway I'd come down. I think if I'd done this walk in reverse I would have continued along the road as this entrance doesn't look like it goes to a public track - but it does

Further along I took a track off to the right as it looked like I'd get to the Black Rock Gorge and could walk back to Evanton through the paths there. The footbridge I went over looked a bit industrial and didn't look familiar from my previous visit to the Gorge, but it was a good viewpoint down into the deep, narrow gorge, so I assumed it must be the viewpoint I'd been to before ....but up the steep slope on the other side and continuing down parallel to the gorge I came to a signpost pointing down to another bridge over another part of the gorge which was the one I'd been to before and is the main one people go to. Nice to know there are 2 bridges now anyway!
APDC8041.JPG
Footbridge across Black Rock Gorge

APDC8042.JPG
View in to the narrow gorge

APDC8045.JPG
Black Rock Gorge

So just the stroll on the path through the woods to the parking area for the Black Gorge and back into Evanton. Not the shortest, quickest up-down route for Cnoc Ceislein, but a good lockdown leg-stretch discovering tracks I haven't been on before :D
APDC8048.JPG
Following the woodland path back to Evanton

APDC8049.JPG
End of the walk, the small car park in Evanton
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Cnoc Ceislein, circular route from Evanton

Postby Jaxter » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:59 pm

This looks fantastic - such a great feeling when you arrive somewhere and get some views isn't it 8) We did actually find quite a well-worn route up to Cnoc Ceislein, although it was summer and the heather was much higher so may have been more obvious!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:92   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby gld73 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:44 pm

Jaxter wrote:This looks fantastic - such a great feeling when you arrive somewhere and get some views isn't it 8) We did actually find quite a well-worn route up to Cnoc Ceislein, although it was summer and the heather was much higher so may have been more obvious!

Ah, I did think it odd there wasn't a path!
Anyway, next time you're cycling in this area again (especially if The Storehouse is open for a cake stop), incorporating the walk up Cnoc Ceislein would definitely make for a better day out than the walk to Mount Eagle .. :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby dogplodder » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:57 pm

We did this one by the path up to Fyrish, which was lovely in the snow.... but your version looks a bit more adventurous. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Jaxter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:20 pm

gld73 wrote:
Jaxter wrote:This looks fantastic - such a great feeling when you arrive somewhere and get some views isn't it 8) We did actually find quite a well-worn route up to Cnoc Ceislein, although it was summer and the heather was much higher so may have been more obvious!

Ah, I did think it odd there wasn't a path!
Anyway, next time you're cycling in this area again (especially if The Storehouse is open for a cake stop), incorporating the walk up Cnoc Ceislein would definitely make for a better day out than the walk to Mount Eagle .. :lol:

"better than Mount Eagle" is not a very high bar :lol: :lol:
But you're absolutely right - that would be a smashing route 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:92   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Like many others, we also climbed this one via Fyrish and never thought about a longer route. Your option looks good though :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland