walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn a' Mhaim

Carn a' Mhaim

Postby litljortindan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:59 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 06/03/2021

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was surprised to find that this turned out to be quite an easy walk. I thought I might struggle a bit with carrying extras of ice-axe, crampons and fleece, especially without my erstwhile normal winter fitness platform of two games of football per week. Thinking of packing in the football anyway so I suppose I got a glimpse of my new normal Spring fitness level.

I was also surprised to find a near-empty car park and to only encounter one other person on the way up.

The track and paths are excellent though for the diversion to the Luibeg bridge I think it is best to keep on the main path, not the eroded one that skirts the burn. Lost the Carn A' Mhaim ascent path briefly because of a snow patch covering a bend but soon realised I was going too far west. After that brief bit of effort the rest of the ascent was really very easy. I just had to decide between microspikes and crampons for crossing the snow patches. I elected for microspikes as the ground wasn't too steep but I also swapped walking poles for ice axe just in case.

There are good views of parts of other hills on the way to the top but once the Lairig Ghru comes into view it is difficult to look anywhere other than west and north.
I thought about what a continuation north would entail but it was too late in the day to be seriously considering a longer walk so I about turned and began the equally easy descent. I did get a bit of complaint from back and shoulder but overall I was pleased to find that I could still do a longish walk with a heavyish rucksack without feeling totally knackered. Nice weather always helps, of course!

A bit cloudy early morning but I kept faith in the forecasts.

Bridge at Derry Lodge.

Looks enticingly clear on the horizon.

Luibeg Bridge diversion.

Coire Sputan Dearg cliffs.

Onto the Carn a' Mhaim ascent path.

Firm to solid snow in patches.

As the gradient wasn't too steep anywhere I used microspikes but also swapped walking poles for ice axe.

Fine views up and down Lairig Ghru.

It doesn't hep the camera when the snow is the same bluey white as the sky.

Braeriach.

After the ascent comes the descent. I felt ok and possibly could have managed a longer walk but I was quite happy with where I'd got to.

Last edited by litljortindan on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Carn a' Mhaim

Postby 1Magnus » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:05 am

I was also surprised to find a near-empty car park and to only encounter one other person on the way up.

We're in lockdown, during a national pandemic.
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Re: Carn a' Mhaim

Postby gaffr » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:09 am

Your images capture the terrain in that area. :D
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland