walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Isolation on Ben Klibreck

Isolation on Ben Klibreck

Postby Coutts94 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Route description: Ben Klibreck

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 26/02/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.25 km

Ascent: 930m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today was hopefully going to be the day - My first Munro of 2021.

(All covid guidlines were followed for this walk)

So I had been checking the forecast all week after the snow melt, and the forecast on Saturday was for excellent visibility and a bit of sunshine, so I made my plans for heading to the isolated mountain - Ben Klibreck.

I left pretty early and thankfully the forecast was accurate, the skies just got clearer and clearer as I got there :D I was excited for the day ahead!

1.png
Clear Skies

So I set off from the "usual" start point, which is now the car park for the new windfarm.. my van fit in pretty well there though :lol:

3.png
"Work" Van

So I set off through the boggy heather towards the first part of the climb, Cnoc Sgriodain, it was pretty steep but I was at the top before I knew it. Couldn't help but hear the noisy operations from the diggers on the windfarm, could nearly hear it from the summit!

2.png
Ugly Windfarm

So the view forward was looking promising, even a little daunting, it was a lot further than I expected :lol: Always looks shorter on the map.

4.png
The view on to Ben Klibreck

I made my way skirting along the side, I wouldn't like doing this path in winter as it a rather long runout, but as there was little snow left I went for it. Even had a little bit of fun kicking steps in the snow to get across the patches.

5.png
The ridge
6.png
Snow

Then the summit came back in to view, my legs hurt a bit looking at it, but I was looking forward to getting up there.

7.png
Summit

After climbing over the rocks and pulling myself up the last part, I made it to the summit quicker than expected. There was still a fair bit of snow around the cairn and the wind was blowing a hoolie :lol: Strange because it had been pretty calm most of the day.

Ben Klibreck 41/282

8.png
Summit Views
9.png

So I didn't linger here as I couldn't stand the wind, so made my way back down for some lunch.
Sat and admired the views of Ben Loyal, Ben hope and pretty much the vast views of nothing :lol: It feels really isolated up here as there is not a whole lot around it, I think it makes the mountain feel that bit bigger.

Managed to fly my drone around for a bit and got a shot with Ben Hope in the background..

10.png
Drone

All in all I had a great day out on Ben Klibreck, very isolated and slightly boggy, but loved every minute of it as it was my first of 2021. Pretty much had the mountain to myself and only seen one other person all day. Hopefully get more days out in the coming months.

I am also documenting all my Munros on Youtube, if you would like to see the video and listen to my droning voice then here it is :lol: :

Thanks for reading!

James
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Re: Isolation on Ben Klibreck

Postby hooter2014 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:21 pm

Great little video James, not too long, not too short with plenty of nice shots. :clap:
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Isolation on Ben Klibreck

Postby Coutts94 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:17 am

hooter2014 wrote:Great little video James, not too long, not too short with plenty of nice shots. :clap:

Thanks for watching! Its hard to try and find the balance :lol:
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland