walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A corker of a day in Torridon

A corker of a day in Torridon

Postby Benaden887 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Ghiubhais, Ruadh-stac Beag

Date walked: 18/09/1998

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1840m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A corker of a day in Torridon. 19/09/1998
Ruadh stac Mhor, Ruadh stac Beag and Meall a`Ghiubhis 21km 1840m 11h
This pairing of the Torridon group, is as laid out in the SMC book, the Corbetts with some wee additions. The KMC are staying at the hostel tacked onto Kinlochewe hotel. With the team Slioch bound, I walk the road to the Aultroy centre, find a stalkers path thro the woods to follow a burn and trail (the pony track) uphill to a col. Another wee burn winds up N after a steep stony climb to a small flattish area sporting two tops. I go to the highest and claim Meall a`Ghiubhais @ 896m. Great day warm no haze see for miles. The Letterewe hills, still todo. Fisherfield, Slioch, islands on Loch Maree and here the long sweep of Beinn Eighe. I sit on the sharp stones of the cairn munch a roll an half a mars bar. Some place, but time to go. A swift return to the col then down SW into Coire Toll a`Ghuibhais. Its burn leads up to a lochan atween Beag and a stony spur of Beinn Eighe. High crags and steep shifting scree slopes are a grind until I reach the S face with a promising route upward. Rest, energy bar and drink here viewing the lochan and the stone screed arm to see if it is doable, but this comes first. Work my way up a large loose boulder slide for a flat tableland with scattered boulders and the cairn of Ruadh stac Beag @ 896m. Sit for a while on warm rock, rest eat and mpck then return to pass the lochan and climb first over scree then rock and repeat for the top. The long spur gives easier walking and some respite, passing cories of grey black scree on either side. The Black Carls lie to my left. The orange top of Ruadh stac Mor on my right and ahead lies Spidean coire nan Clach @ 993m. Climb a rocky block for the cairn and take stock. The grey quartzite ridge goes west, from its trig point below me; to Coinneach Mhor, the old top; to a strange sandstone col then Sail Mhor from whence I first completed the ridge. On another arm of the corie lies Ruadh Stac Mor @ 1010m first climbed in a wild winter outing. Liathach`s white dressed tops, a whole host of dun hills and below in the glen - the Ling hut, ahh fond memories. Time to go. Drop to then cross the mossy low point of the ridge and view a superb Coire an Laoigh - the quick way down; a rise to Sgurr Ban, another rocky dip then up for Sgurr nan Fhir Duibhe. Broken crags seamed by long gullys of scree fall to the corie below, the fading sunshine lends a stark outline to the hills. Mpck here head N for the Black Carls. Memory kicks in as several techniques are dredged up for a 10m downclimb to where a chockstone abuts the ridge. This can be bypassed on a southside ledges contouring the summit but wheres the fun in that. Cross large blocks on the second stack, these too can be turned by a rough staircase on the splintered face of the northern corie. A range of broken pinnacles now leads to the cairn of Creag Dhubh. Well pleased wi mysel I finish my water, drop down an obvious scree run for a burn and a decent path to the road. Back at the hostel plenty of chat but noone seems too interested in what I`d done. That`s being a Munroist for you.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland