walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Liath from Newtonmore

Creag Liath from Newtonmore

Postby gld73 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:30 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Liath

Date walked: 08/03/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 640m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another walk after working in Kingussie. Started from the car park in Newtonmore to make the walk a bit longer, and walked up the Glen Road, following it all the way to the Glen Banchor car park which would be the more normal start point for this hill (and the usual start point for the round of the 3 munros - I hadn't realised I could have tagged this graham on to that walk when I did the munros. Still, left me with a nice hill walk to do as a shorter day today). Did the route clockwise to do the slightly steeper route as the ascent.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8098.JPG
View down Glen Banchor to Creag Liath

APDC8099.JPG
Zoomed to Creag Liath

APDC8100.JPG
View to the target hill, crossing the Allt Fionndrigh at Glenballoch

APDC8102.JPG
Heading up Creag Liath's southern slopes

APDC8103.JPG
I reached the summit area at the southern end of the hill, could see the summit cairn a couple of hundred metres north

APDC8104.JPG
View to the munro Carn Dearg from the 745m summit

APDC8105.JPG
View back south east to Newtonmore

APDC8107.JPG
Descending down the north slopes

APDC8108.JPG
Back on the path well trodden by Monadliath munro baggers, crossing the Allt Fionndrigh again

APDC8109.JPG
Walking back down the east side of the Allt Fionndrigh, Creag Liath on the right

Straightforward, enjoyable hill and nice to get a new summit ticked off in 2021 given current restrictions. If we ever end up back in a lockdown where you can only exercise from your front door rather than driving anywhere, Newtonmore and Kingussie would be pretty good places to be staying, given the number of hills of all sizes on the doorstep!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland