walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Meagaidh Circuit

Creag Meagaidh Circuit

Postby Stretch » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 05/03/2011

Time taken: 7.45 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1080m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been saving this fine circuit for a nice winter day and with the expectation of 'extensive sunshine' and '90% cloud-free munros' I decided Saturday might bring me the views I had been waiting for. Fingeez sent me a message Friday night saying he wanted to come along so I picked him up in Perth at 6:45 and we sped off up the A9. Upon arriving at the Aberader car park there were plenty of people already there, these would later mostly prove to be climbers getting an early start on their day. At 8:30 we set off up the easy path until reaching the point where the climb up Carn Liath begins. I had been away home the past two weeks for a funeral and the time off the hillside got the better of me on this ascent. It wasn't a difficult climb by no means, but I was huffin and puffin for most of it. Two hours after setting off we reached Carn Liath and the sun had yet to make an appearance.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking back to the car park.jpg

Little hope for a cloud free day.jpg

We wasted little time at the first summit and continued on into the cloud across the plateau on the way to the second munro, Stob Poite Coire Ardair. It was easy going for most of the way, with the exception of one patch where a steep icy bank had to be crossed. Another walker had kicked some steps in and I decided to don the crampons and follow. I gave Ross my microspikes and after kicking the steps in even more he was able to get up the only tricky bit of the day without any fuss. From here there was a bit more ascent until we reached Stob Poite Coire Ardair. At this point we thought the sun would finally come out, and for brief moments we had views toward the Cairngorms in the east, and some brief views of the gullies on Creag Meagaidh. Ice climbers were topping out on the upper section of the gullies, perhaps unaware of the massive cracks in the corniced areas that looked like they could crash to coire below at any moment.

Ross at the only tricky section.jpg

Nearing Stob Poite a'Choire Ardair summit.jpg

Three climbers top out on Creag Meagaidh.jpg

A break in the clouds over Creag Meagaidh.jpg

Cracks in the corniced areas on Creag Meagaidh.jpg

After a short lunch break we headed down to the Window and began our ascent of Creag Meagaidh itself. This wasn't too bad, but the cloud had closed back in and we didn't see a thing from the top. After another short break at the summit we returned to the edge of the cliffs and took pics of the huge cracks on the cornices. Then it was back down to the Window for the descent into the coire. Going down was pretty fun as the snow was soft and easy to walk on. We stopped from time to time to watch the ice climbers on various routes. It's nice to watch, but it's not for me. When we traversed further around we could see skiers coming down a near vertical snow filled gully. Insane! I made a short video of this extreme activity, sorry for the quality, I haven't joined the HD craze yet. Had one of them fallen I'm sure it would be tragic.

Above the Window before ascending Creag Meagaidh.jpg

Me on Creag Meagaidh.jpg

Ross on Creag Meagaidh.jpg

Future avalanche on Creag Meagaidh.jpg

Yikes!.jpg

View from the top of the Window.jpg

Can you spot the ice climber.jpg

Gully for insane skiers.jpg

Insane Skiers.jpg

Lochan Coire Ardair below Creag Meagaidh.jpg

Lochan Coire Ardair.jpg

The walk out.jpg

We took a few moments to watch the skiers and take pics of the magnificent Lochan a'Choire before setting off down the well made track that curves all the way back to the car park. This became somewhat tiring at the end, but I felt that doing this under 8 hours with all my stops on the initial ascent was a solid effort. At the car park the clouds had lifted enough so that anyone at the top would have had the views I'd hoped for. Had we left an hour later in the morning we might have seen this, but overall this was a fine day with much to keep a couple walkers interested along the way. Gotta thank Ross for coming along on this one, we'll see you this weekend in Aviemore.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W2xilVmRpY[/youtube]
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Creag Meagaidh Circuit

Postby kevsbald » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Whoa, love that video Stretch - yeehah!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Woah, scary - I'm sure I just saw one of those huge cornices move in one of your photos! :lol: Great stuff Stretch (and Ross). Enjoy Aviemore and have a beer or two for me! :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Jockstar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Great pics, Stretch and insane people...sounds like a fun day!! Close call between you and Kinley for the bragging
rights for the photos. Looked awesome but I'll send you the clear pics from the tops when I do this walk in the summer... :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby fingeez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Hey Stretch

Nice report there, was gonna do one similar lol, but i'll just add some pics in here :)
those climbers were def brave coming up under that cornice :shock: and those skiers were on a whole other level of crazy, that slope looked more like a cliff as we watched them haha

Your action shot of me makes that look alot scarier than it was hahaha

Im guessing the pics of us with the cliffs in the background from the summit of Stob Poite Coire Ardair didnt turn out too good with the sunshine behind us?

IMG00416-20110305-1155.jpg
Summit of Stob Poite Coire Ardair appearing through the clouds.

IMG00428-20110305-1420.jpg
Stretch descending the window.

IMG00432-20110305-1437.jpg
Looking back to the line of walkers descending the window.

Thanks once again for the lift, really enjoyed the walk. Will see you at the weekend :)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Islands:11

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Thats one bum clenching vid there stretch(not for me).

Good to see you back.

Wish I had been with you and fingeez on Saturday.

Looks like you both had a fine day.

Another 3 in the bag also.

Speak to you soon and try and get back out
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby soulminer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Dangerous cornices, insane skiers and great pics- what more could you ask for a day out 8)
Cheers
soulminer

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Cracking stuff Stretch :D . Coire Ardair really is something special and those cornices :shock: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Stretch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks for the comments gang. After yesterday's sunshine I'm wondering if those cornices fell?
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 am

Yikes indeed.... very avalanchey :shock:

Them skiers must have some nerve doing that. Great report, video and pictures :D :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby blueyed » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:37 pm

i see you decided to do C.M. Stretch. good choice :) great pics, i guess i'll follow you there ..soon :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Top drawer report.... those cornices look superb 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Much thanks Paul. Today, one of the skiers found the video on Youtube and left me a comment saying it was him and his buddies. Insane bunch!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm guessing Ossian will have been one of the skiiers. He has put up a brief report on Scottishhills, which is worth a look:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=155203#155203

In fact all of his reports are worth a look - pretty crazy usually :shock:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Stretch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:40 pm

malky_c wrote:I'm guessing Ossian will have been one of the skiiers. He has put up a brief report on Scottishhills, which is worth a look:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=155203#155203

In fact all of his reports are worth a look - pretty crazy usually :shock:

Dang! That's scarier from their vantage point!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland