walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Moy

Glen Moy

Postby KatTai » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:41 pm

Date walked: 13/03/2021

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 368m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lockdown has done one thing, it has forced me to spend more time exploring the local glens! Yesterday I headed into Glen Moy, not the best of roads to be driving along :shock: However, reached the small parking area at the end of the public road just across the bridge and squeezed my car in. This route was on a clear track the whole way, the OS map doesn't show the tracks but they are there!

We followed the road towards the farm, passing the farm buildings and heading onto grassland where there were a fair few lapwings shouting and a curlew flew noisily overhead. Lots of buzzards and red kites around too. The track led to a bridge with a ruined cottage on the other side, another ruined cottage visible partway up the hill ahead. This is where the track led to, the track forking at the cottage. We took the track on the right remaining low in the glen circling round the base of the hill to pass between a narrow valley between two hills.

1.JPG

Descending on the other side we took a track on the right heading up Craig Hill. There were a few patches of snow here, sheltered from the sun, so Zena had a little off-lead time to have a good roll in the snow!

3.JPG

5.JPG

At the top the surrounding hills limited the views but we could see to the Munros of Glen Doll and across to the Airlie Monument and Cat Law.

10.JPG

The track remained clear for the descent, another track to the right heading down to a gate with a burn on the other side and another gate on the other side of that to reach more fields used for grazing sheep. The track passed a cottage and headed down to the road and the car parking area.

11.JPG

12.JPG
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Glen Moy

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:16 pm

In all the years we lived in Dundee I never got to Glen Moy (hadn't even heard of it) so glad to see what I missed. :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby KatTai » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:46 pm

dogplodder wrote:In all the years we lived in Dundee I never got to Glen Moy (hadn't even heard of it) so glad to see what I missed. :lol:

I've lived up here nearly 15 years and it was my first trip into Glen Moy :lol: Not likely to become a regular thing though, the road is in pretty bad condition though not as bad as the Glen Lethnot road when I first went there I thought my car was going to fall apart :shock:
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby jaykayemm » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:26 pm

You should try the West side past Glencuilt and even over Craigthran for a circular walk. Glen Moy is lovely because it's never busy, the road took a battering this winter so it's in bad shape but OK. So handy from Kirriemuir.
jaykayemm
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:75
Fionas:5   Donalds:1

Postby KatTai » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:15 pm

jaykayemm wrote:You should try the West side past Glencuilt and even over Craigthran for a circular walk. Glen Moy is lovely because it's never busy, the road took a battering this winter so it's in bad shape but OK. So handy from Kirriemuir.

Thanks, I'll try that route next time :D
KatTai
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland