walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Tulaichean and Carn an Righ

Glas Tulaichean and Carn an Righ

Postby Stretch » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 06/03/2011

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1085m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After going around the Creag Meagaidh circuit with Fingeez on Saturday I decided to stay in the east for my Sunday walk. I knew this route was a long one and that it would place me in the middle of no-man's-land. The previous day was supposed to be fairly sunny, but that failed, Sunday was supposed to be the same, and again, that largely failed. Still tired from Saturday, I decided to park at the Dalmunzie Castle Hotel to cut some of the distance - this later proved a smart move. I arrived at 8am and the door to reception was locked so I decided to pay to park upon return. I set off fifteen minutes later and made my way past Glenlochsie Farm. I decided to cross the stream which was flowing pretty heavily due to the recent thaw. It probably would have been best to stay on the dismantled railway though as a footbridge takes you across at the Glenlochsie Lodge further up. This was the first of way too many stream crossings on this day. After reaching the old lodge I headed up the bulldozed track that leads all the way to the summit of Glas Tulaichean. Again, the cloud was thick and at the top I nearly decided that one munro was good enough for today as I didn't expect to see anything all day. But, I didn't think I wanted to make that walk in again and I had come a long way so I carried on. For some reason my GPS couldn't pick up a signal all day long, so I got the compass out and headed North/Northeast along the ridge, following 3 good sets of footprints until I got back below the clouds.

Once below the clouds I saw that I had come down pretty far left of the bealach where Paul's gps track takes you in order to reach the path under Mam nan Carn. However, a quick bumslide took me down to the stream and I found an easy way up to the path on the other side. From here I took a left turn and made my way to the lower slopes of Carn an Righ. Made pretty good progress up this hill, but a false top area dampened my spirits at one point. Finally I made it to the summit after over 4 hours of pretty tough going. I took a break at the top which I had all to myself and then got back down below the cloud. Things were beginning to brighten up at that point and I could see a large patch of snow that went all the way to the bealach. Ah the usefulness of the bumslide. I sat on my rear and slide 150m down off Carn an Righ - express elevator going down! Then it was back along the path that curves through the glen all the way to Loch nan Eun.

I had only seen 2 other walkers when I reached the frozen loch. 3 more met me as I curved around the right side of it and made my way to the point of descent for the long walk out. When I say long walk out, I mean LOOOOOOONNNGGGG walk out. It seemed to go on and on and on. Thankfully you follow the stream which has some nice waterfalls all the way down. At the bottom where things begin to flatten out I reached the old track which took me back to the hotel. I saw two eagles flying above Creag Dallaig and then my eyes turned back ahead to the great distance that I still had to walk. Ugh! This is true wilderness! With about two miles to go I had acquired a sharp pain in my achilies tendon and had to step gingerly the rest of the way. Thankfully this went away overnight and I sure hope it doesn't return next weekend at the Aviemore meet up. When I finally got back to the hotel I went inside to pay. It was only 2 pounds and the staff member asked me if I wanted a drink and some cake. Very tempting! But I needed a hot shower so I sped off back to St Andrews. This is actually a very nice, but long, walk in a truly remote place. There is enough to keep you interested at least as you slowly plod back to the car.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Start of my day near Glenlochsie Farm.jpg

Glenlochsie Lodge.jpg

Backside of Glenlochsie Lodge.jpg

The white world of the Glas Tulaichean summit.jpg

Dropping below the cloud - Carn an Righ on the right.jpg

Crossing the stream - aiming for path to Carn an Righ.jpg

Frosty summit of Carn an Righ.jpg

Mam nan Cairn - bumslide all the way down from here.jpg

Last look at Carn an Righ.jpg

Its a long walk to Loch nan Eun.jpg

The north side of Glas Tulaichean.jpg

The frozen Loch nan Eun.jpg

Across the frozen Loch nan Eun.jpg

View of the walk out from the lochan.jpg

There is no end in sight to this walk.jpg

The view ahead as you reach the track.jpg

Still walking - hotel in the small patch of trees in the middle.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Glas Tulaichean and Carn an Righ

Postby Graeme D » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:57 pm

That's some weekend you had there Stretch! :mrgreen: I love Loch nan Eun - one of the most eery and haunting places I've been when I skirted it in swirling mist about 7am one July Sunday morning a couple of years back. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Big weekend Stretch :shock:

Hope you aint burned out, thers a bigger weekend ahead :D

Nice photos.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm

highly enjoyable WR of hills I am now looking forward to.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby fingeez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Looks like the jetlag didnt stop you then lol

Was tempting to join you on this one aswell, but playing it easy with the missus seeing as i'll hopefully be away most of this coming wekend :)

ahh the good ol bumslide, if only it worked uphill :)

Some nice pics you got, even with the off the mark weather forecast from MWIS lol

Good effort for the weekend though :)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Islands:11

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Thats one big weekend stretch,hope your injury is not too bad and does not keep you from missing the Aviemore meet this coming weekend,just wish I could join you all as I"m sure it will be lively. :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:42 am

Great report stretch but certainly looks a long walk out. :D

I'm hoping to get up here some time (never walked here before) and was looking at the cycle in to Loch nan Eun via your return route. It looks cycleable to the end of the landrover track around 073766 on the map but I was wondering how good it was from there to the loch ? any views greatly appreciated :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:55 am

Another really enjoyable report Big Yin :D . You seem to have taken up hillwalking fulltime since the returning from the colonies ;).

Probably the first "long" walk I did (about 4 years ago) and loved it :D . Although I do remember the walk out along Gleann Taitneach going on forever and I was too tight to pay the £2 charge so had an extra 4km to add to the walk :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Alastair S » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:04 am

Looks like £2 well spent to me. Certainly clocking them up Stretch.

Also shows how localized conditions can be. Was a glorious day on Deeside and I was regretting not been out on the hills. And Kinley had great conditions a few mile north of you. The moral being: follow Kinley :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Stretch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 am

Cheers everyone, I'm almost able to use my legs again after this weekend :lol:

rockhopper wrote:Great report stretch but certainly looks a long walk out. :D

I'm hoping to get up here some time (never walked here before) and was looking at the cycle in to Loch nan Eun via your return route. It looks cycleable to the end of the landrover track around 073766 on the map but I was wondering how good it was from there to the loch ? any views greatly appreciated :D

This would be an excellent way to do these two. There were few places where you could stash a bike though, but you could continue a short distance on the path after the track ends and then walk up by the stream and waterfalls to the loch. From here you could curve up to GT and then follow the normal route to CaR and then return. You would just miss seeing the old lodge on the otherside of GT, but that's what pics are for lol.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:27 am

Hey Stretch

I did these two on Friday, you didn't come across a water bottle on the path going along Mam nan Carn? I lost mine there. I was planning on taking in Beinn Lutharn Mhor but once the bottle was lost, that plan was put to bed and thankfully it was the right decision cause the legs were away by the time i got back. I agree with the river crossing, far too many, good walk though and friendly girl on reception, though i couldn't get a drink though as a wedding party had booked the whole hotel.

Johnny
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Stretch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:33 am

Sorry Johnny I didn't see a water bottle anywhere. The reason no one had opened the hotel early Sunday is because of that wedding, must have been some party Saturday!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 am

Good one Stretch 8) I'd have eaten my weight in cake after the weekend you've just had :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Stretch wrote:This would be an excellent way to do these two. There were few places where you could stash a bike though, but you could continue a short distance on the path after the track ends and then walk up by the stream and waterfalls to the loch. From here you could curve up to GT and then follow the normal route to CaR and then return. You would just miss seeing the old lodge on the otherside of GT, but that's what pics are for lol.

Thanks Stretch - I was looking at this as a possible approach to going SW up to GT from the loch, then on to CaR, BIM, CB and AS before going back to the bike. It's quite a long day so would need to wait for late spring/summer and I'd need to be a lot fitter (so may not be doable) :problem: :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland