walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Dubh (graham nr Newtonmore) from Auchmore

Creag Dubh (graham nr Newtonmore) from Auchmore

Postby gld73 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:00 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Dhubh (Newtonmore)

Date walked: 15/03/2021

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 8.1 km

Ascent: 520m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally got round to doing Creag Dubh, a hill I've seen so often and yet always decided it was too wet, too windy or too snowy to do when I've been in the area having read of the path going close to the edge of the cliffs. I didn't do the WalkHighlands route up, parked instead in a small layby (room for 2 cars) opposite the entrance to Auchmore, and walked a very short distance west to go through the gate and head up the field. My intention was to follow the track shown on the map, but it wasn't clear at the start at all, so I just walked up the hill over rough ground and ended up not going where I'd intended (hadn't meant to head for the monument marked on the map, but that's where I ended up initially as I hadn't bothered getting my map out). Took a curving route round then from the memorial to avoid the steep descent and re-ascent, followed a fence for a bit, then seemed to naturally join the path up the Creag Dhubh ridge as all starting points from this end converge on to one route up the actual ridge.
APDC8110.JPG
Hadn't been planning on going to the monument, but it was a nice enough viewpoint over to the main target of the day

APDC8111.JPG
Zoomed to the waterfall and Creag Dubh

APDC8113.JPG
My rough, roundabout route did meet up with the path - view looking back down towards the south west

APDC8115.JPG
Higher up, another view back down the ridge

APDC8114.JPG
..and the view of the route ahead

Over a couple of stiles and up the ridge, bits of snow still around. Came to the first cairn but the next, bigger, one looked slightly higher. Good views over to Carn Liath, the graham I did last week, and the Monadhliath munros.
APDC8117.JPG
Arrived at the first cairn, but the bigger summit one was just a short walk away

APDC8120.JPG
View south west from the summit cairn - plenty clouds, but all well above Creag Dubh's height

APDC8119.JPG
To the north west, looking across Glen Banchor, Creag Liath is in the centre of the shot, the graham I did last week from Newtonmore ... Monadhliath munros behind it. There had evidently been another dusting of snow since last week

Headed back down the ridge the same way, but at the 2nd stile, stayed to the right and didn't go over the stile this time. The ground was quite wet and boggy at this part, even when I eventually came across the track. Followed it all the way down to the gate at the start (the track almost disappearing on the approach to the gate, hence me not seeing it on the way up, just a track running perpendicular to the road was obvious).
APDC8121.JPG
I took a slightly different route back in the lower part of the descent and came across the track shown on the OS map, a mix of stony sections and grassy sections and quite clear on the ground until it nears the gate at Auchmore. The hill on the left across the way is Cruban Beag, a sub-2000m hill with a 590m summit, looks like another good hill for me to do next time I'm working in the Kingussie area

It was good to finally get round to doing Creag Dubh, it looks an impressive hill from Kingussie and isn't a long day by any means. Quite fancy trying it from the other end next time, starting at Biallaid, I'm sure there must be a decent route up through the rocks and trees :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Creag Dubh (graham nr Newtonmore) from Auchmore

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:13 pm

We enjoyed this wee hill and didn't follow the WH route either! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Creag Dubh (graham nr Newtonmore) from Auchmore

Postby Sgurr » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Loved this hill which we did at the beginning of one winter when all the far views were draped with mist.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland