walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bum slide and green nuts

Bum slide and green nuts

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Route description: Cairn Gorm and the northern corries

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 06/03/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My report is written on behalf of the club I belong to. The Forfar and District Hill Walkers Club

The day started very well indeed – I didn’t sleep in :lol: :lol:

Club members met at 7am at the usual place and sharing cars, we headed on up to the Cairngorms. The morning was cloudy and cool but just before reaching Rothiemurchus, the sun suddenly sprang out of nowhere to dazzle us all. Arrived at the car park north of the Ski centre to be met by the lovely Caroline who provided us with a hot cuppa and tasty homemade (to die for) cake slices (many thanks).

Started the walk around 09.45 and ascended the Coir na Ciste. Great views, all be it hazy.

About two thirds of the way up, we came across a large herd of reindeer lolling about in the sun. It was an amazing site!!

Had to tear myself away...

By the time we reached the top, the hat had to come off exposing the sweaty flat hair that probably looked like it had been pasted to my head. As we headed around Cnap Coire na Spreidhe there were many folk skiing along the top and having a great time on the ski-tows. We reached the Cairn Gorm summit and had a well earned rest. After a ham buttie, I dived into the chunk of Dundee cake which I’d been thinking about since leaving home at 6.30 that morning :lol: :D

The summit

Views from the summit

Lunch time, thank god

We set off from the summit to walk round the top of the corries to Cairn Lochan. A couple from the group set off on their ski's. As they set off Colin had a “You’ve been framed moment” as he landed on his back side. No one was quick enough with their camera.. erm, I mean... no one was quick enough to run to his aid :lol: (had my video camera in my bag as well ha ha), hope you’re okay...

There were lots of people doing their own favourite thing, ice-climbers, skiers, walkers, mountaineers and everyone looked happy as they said hello.

Not sure I would ever do stuff with ropes eeeakk!!

From here, we needed crampons and ice axe. I had my micro spikes but these would not have been enough on this bit and I felt better with the crampons (thanks Colin for the loan). The smile on my chops got even wider after this!

Me, go up there?? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :shock:

Looking back

At Cairn Lochan, we stopped for another short break where Graham offered around a delicacy I’d never even heard of before, much less tasted. Green peanuts :shock: :wtf: His nuts are definitely an acquired taste so I’d be warned if I were you, unless you want @ss-pickles, I’d stay well clear :lol: :lol: :lol:

The group

View to the south east

Came across a wee Snow Bunting preening himself. :D

On decent west of Coire an Lochan, it was time to get a bit serious with some training of self arrest. (Serious? yeah right :lol: ). The truth is, we all just wanted to enjoy bum slides down a cool steep bit. I couldn’t get going at first and had to do many bum hops to get myself started until eventually I slid about 6 feet squawking “weeeeee” (I hope no one heard). With the trousers ruckling up to my knees exposing my rather bright, fluffy multi- coloured socks which I hoped to God no one clocked :lol: :lol: I practised shoving the axe into the iced snow in an attempt to look professional and cool.

Keep my distance so no-one sees the socks

I bum-hopped down that

The descent down to the ski centre was hard going with the bouldery path and there was still the odd iced up patch which a couple of the group couldn’t help but go sliding again. There wasn’t enough of the patch for me to slide on – I would have bum hopped from top to bottom :lol: :lol: .

Path, homeward bound

Looking back towards this beautiful place.

Arrived back at the ski centre around 4 pm and was lucky to get the next coach that was heading down to our car park although I held up the queue to the seats as every strap on the rucksack and poles got caught on the seat’s arm rests. I was glad to sit down. When back at the car park, everyone soon tucked into tea and cake as we sat having just had a mighty fine day.

The weather was pretty much perfect for walking and along with the cracking wild life the day was full of laughs and good conversation. One thing I’ll bring next time is the sun block... Face like a slapped aris today. Ha ha :lol: The group are all very experienced hill walkers and were happy to share advice, stories and even their green nuts! Thanks to the group for a terrific and memorable day and thanks Ray for the lift there and back (big drink at the next meeting :D ).

It’s nice to walk solo sometimes, but when you get a first-class group to share your walk with, you just can’t beat it.

More pics here
Last edited by Merry-walker on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Bum slide and green nuts

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01 pm

absolutely stunning merry, well done :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:05 pm

Lovely 8) . Good info for my forthcoming weekend plans as well :think: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 pm

i very often want to bum slide down snowy slopes in my super slidy survival sack, but always wary of newspaper headlines such as " walker feared missing after sliding off mountain top" :shock:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

had the best bum hop/slide ever :D :D :D :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Really enjoyable report. :D
foggieclimber

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:15 pm

we were on beinn dubchraig yesterday and we came across a massive patch of icy snow which we could have slid down but you always worry you`ll smack your head on a rock at the bottom and have to be winched away to safety at the expense of someone who needs the copter not acting like a dafty :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Lovely colours - should've gone out. Looks like spring is here (for the next 5 minutes anyway...)

Lovely round over the Northern Corries, that. Been round it a few times 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers all

LOve the dafty stuff :D :D :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Graeme D » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thoroughly enjoyable report - vintage MW! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Stretch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:04 am

Your best report yet MW, excellent shots of the folks standing above the coire and of the dozing reindeer.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:22 am

Awww, thanks Stretch, so kind :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:30 am

Cheers Graeme :D :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 am

Only ever been walking here in the summer so it's great to see the great colours in your photos - good stuff mw :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kinley » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 am

Lovely day 8)

Recognise some of the folks in that pic - pretty sure Hazel and I passed your group on the top of Cairn Lochain and then overtook you just before the car park when your group spread out a bit. 8)
kinley

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland