walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cochno Hill and The Slacks

Cochno Hill and The Slacks

Postby rob munbett » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:30 pm

Date walked: 18/03/2021

Time taken: 2.3 hours

Distance: 9.66 km

Ascent: 406m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Really, this was my first walk out on some hills since knee surgery in November, so low, local hills but a good sense of achievement. I walked up through the houses on Cochno Road, past some water-works then took the signposted path for Cochno Hill and Cochno woods - and very pleasant it was, too. I then came off this well-made path to follow a grassy track which led directly uphill towards the east end of the hill. Indeed, I followed this path all the the way to the summit 'cairn'. the views to the north over Duncolm towards Ben Lomond were very fine.
P1040577.JPG
The magnificent cairn on Cochno Hill
I decided to test my knee further by heading west along good tracks down, quite steeply, to the dam at Greenside Reservoir. Across the dam, I ascended the fairly gradual slopes towards the trig at the summit of the oddly named The Slacks.
P1040580.JPG
Descending Cochno Hill looking over to The Slacks
A snack and drink later, I went back down to the dam and followed the road beside the Loch Humphrey Burn to the starting point. All in all, a very pleasant short stroll and I look forward to testing my new knee more rigorously once restrictions are eased a bit.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland