walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Banton Loch

Banton Loch

Postby johnscot55 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Date walked: 22/02/2021

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 122m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

That'll teach me. Desperate for any new walk, I decided I wanted to circumnavigate Banton Loch near Kilsyth despite the fact I couldn't find anything on the net to say it could be practically done. No site listing it as a family walk or really much mention of it at all really. Man made to supply water to the Forth and Clyde canal, it had been there for a long time in a relatively populated area so surely paths had been formed over time. I had been at the south western side of the loch with my wife the week before and knew there was a path following the south shore from Colzeum to Banton so I thought surely there must be a path along the northern shore that would meet up at the eastern end. Look at closely at a map? Don't be daft. It's just a walk in what's practically a part of Colzeum House country park :lol:.
I parked at the entrance to Colzeum House and set off. (in summery shorts😁)
All went well. On quickly reaching the west end of the loch I found a path heading along the northern shore right enough👍. This was enough to confirm to me my circumnavigation would be OK. This'll work!! Even here though there was evidence of irresponsible wild camping.
20210322_145336.jpg
Rubbish at the lochside.
Unfortunately though
this path petered out in a bog about 2/3s along. At this point it would probably have been wise to have said to myself, "maybe not" and retraced my steps and settled for a saunter up and down Colzeum Glen.
20210322_145444.jpg
Banton Loch.
But no, I ploughed my way through the bog then gained higher ground to get a look at the Kilsyth Hills, then descended down on to the stoney shore which itself was very spongy.
20210322_145526.jpg
Kilsyth Hills
Eventually I made it to the end of the eastern end of the loch which was very boggy indeed. I got the impression that at a different time this part would probably be under water. I picked my way toward the far side of the loch where I hoped I would now just have to find a way to connect to the southern path about 50 metres away, on which I could see a couple walking. Easy peasy.
Only one problem. I hadn't looked at a map, which would have told me there was a fast flowing stream (Banton Burn) between me and the path :roll:.
Not willing to turn back, there then ensued a trek through knee high rush like plants, a hack through woods where my hands and legs were scratched to bits, several bogs, clambering over fallen trees and navigating over slippery rocks as I hugged the edge of the stream, across a farmer's field, all in an effort to cross the burn, which I didn't manage to do till I reached the village of Banton🙄.
20210322_145546.jpg
Village of Banton.
20210322_145608.jpg
I disturb a flock of geese.
I had more scratches and scrapes than I've had in a year's worth of Munros😅!
20210322_145630.jpg
Banton and the daylight moon.

I then walked past and missed the beginning of the return path on the other side of the loch, and ended up walking back to the main road then back to Colzeum.
Can you walk "round" the loch? Well I suppose I did in a way. But is it a practical family walk? Definitely not🤣!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Banton Loch

Postby Robertgee » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:06 am

I did this a few years ago. Once the path ends I headed to join the track marked on the os map. Takes you away from the loch, but easy enough to follow to Banton, though a bit over grown and a tricky gate with barbed wire to get through. A pint in the pub, and back along the south shore path. :D
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland