walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Half a Ledi

Half a Ledi

Postby smirnie71 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:27 am

Date walked: 06/03/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 4.06 km

Ascent: 429m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As we were on such a tight schedule our walk up Ben Ledi had to be curtailed about two thirds of the way up.
It's a stunning mountain and we'll be back again. In terms of stretching the legs and getting some more guiding experience with Michael it was just the ticket though.

ben Ledijpg.jpg
This is the route I suggested.....

Ben Ledi 2.jpg
As far as we got today, clag coming in so it's time to head back

Loch Lubnaig.jpg
Loch Lubnaig

The Andersons.jpg
A merry band

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Re: Half a Ledi

Postby JGKES » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Pity your ascent of Ledi was stymied by some very poor weather.I collared it in July 2008 on a clear and calm day,except on the summit,starting from the Falls of Leny car park on a very good path,waymarked for part of the route,which is quite lengthy but presents no problems.There was, astonishingly, a gale on top so the ascent was reversed back to base.There was an extensive mountain view,many of which,as is usual for me in Scotland,I couldn't identify.I saw only two other walkers;had this superb near 2900 foot mountain been in the Lakes I would on a sunny day in July have seen at least 50.Such is one of the many advantages of Scottish hill-walking.My ascent came on the last day of a foray into Scotland which yielded my 49th Munro(Dreish) 33 years after the first(Buachaille Etive Mor);however I have just learned one of my tops,Tom na Gruigaich on Alligin,has recently been upgraded to Munro status!You will find this hill when you do ascend it very rewarding.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby smirnie71 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Thank you! As part of my family hail from Scotland Ben Ledi is a mountain I've heard lots about and I can't wait to have another go. We had a great time on the mountain anyway, which is what it's all about at the end of the day and we decided that caution was the better part of valour. Looking forward to having another crack at it very soon!
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Postby allister3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:26 am

hard line`s that you could`nt quite get to the top of mountain,try try again,that was the first one i climbed and i was thinking that i was surprized that the council had`nt put street light`s all the way along the path.scottish hill`s are being destroyed by walker`s using the same continual path like sheep following the same track,dont you think ?
allister3
Hill Bagger

Munros:10   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland