walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Limited thrills on Wideford Hill

Limited thrills on Wideford Hill

Postby thepigguy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:10 pm

Route description: Wideford Hill and Chambered Cairn, Kirkwall

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Wideford Hill (Mainland Orkney)

Date walked: 17/03/2021

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 9.1 km

Ascent: 232m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My car needed a new exhaust so I took the boat into Kirkwall for the first time in four months and was glad for a change of scene, even if it was only "the toon".

Wideford Hill is arguably the easiest Scottish Marilyn. There's a road to the clutch of aerials and transmitters at the top and you can touch the summit toposcope by leaning out your car. The actual summit is just the other side of the toposcope in some reedy ground so you might need to get out and take four or five paces to make it there.

I've walked it a few times and it's a pleasant, if unexciting outing, although the views can be fantastic on a a clear day - and not bad on a misty, hazy one like this was.

The route is straightforward, the Walkhighlands map is as good a way as any, although I varied it slightly. You can also approach the hill from the road that divides it from Keelylang, although there is no parking place nearby and it's a fair trudge along the road to Finstown and the nearest bus stop.

20210317_104355.jpg
Tarmac path immediately after leaving the road

wideford2.jpg
Escaping from Kirkwall's suburbs and heading past the golf course

wideford 3.jpg
Turn left here

wideford5.jpg
Nice and dry today - a treat for March

wideford 6.jpg
Once back on the road to the top, I took a right turn onto a rough path

wideford7.jpg
The path divides. I took the righthand option

wideford 8.jpg
Heading up to the summit area - lovely!

wideford 9.jpg
Looking north to the Bay of Firth

wideford 10.jpg
Rigs at rest in Scapa Flow

wideford 11.jpg
Teabreak at the toposcope, looking at Keelylang, with Ward Hill (Mainland) and Mid Hill behind. The Hoy Hills were visible in the haze with the naked eye.

wideford 12.jpg
No visit to the cairn today

wideford13.jpg
The sun comes out on the way down to Kirkwall

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland