walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Farr and away the most windfarmy route to Carn na h-Easgainn

Farr and away the most windfarmy route to Carn na h-Easgainn

Postby gld73 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:11 am

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na h-Easgainn

Date walked: 19/03/2021

Time taken: 6.7 hours

Distance: 33 km

Ascent: 430m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn na h-Easgainn is so close to Inverness and so easy to get up and down in a short time from the usual Lynebeg start point, that any hillwalkers in the area have probably done it a dozen times. Starting from Dalmagarry farm further down the A9 (or going via that on a circular route) makes a longer walk, but in these times of staying local and trying to find new ways up old hills, I decided to try and do it from the other side for a change, starting at Farr to go up the west side of the hill rather than the east. Although a change of route can be nice, having now been up that way, I won't do this route again! (unless I ever feel the urge to cycle to a summit, which is highly, highly unlikely!).

As usual for the handful of local grahams I've done in the last couple of weeks, I didn't bother setting off early, so only started the walk at lunchtime. There's parking in Farr in the woods, then the track I was taking starts by the playground, crosses the bridge, passes a couple of houses and then becomes a forestry track into the woods. This first stretch through woodland and alongside the river is quite pleasant.
APDC8000.JPG
Once past the couple of houses, the track becomes a nice one through the woods

APDC8001.JPG
River on the right as the track continues on

The track then merged onto another "track". On my map, it just showed as a track but of course that can mean anything from a faint grassy track to a stony estate track to a superhighway windfarm construction road. This was the latter. I knew my intended route would take me up via Farr windfarm, but what I hadn't realised is that another big windfarm is being built next to it. I've seen the compound for the Glen Kyllachy windfarm just off the western side of the A9 near Moy, but I didn't know the road from there came round to this side of the hill and up the route I was taking.
APDC8005.JPG
Woah! I didn't expect the wee track on my map to look like this...

APDC8008.JPG
Crosses a big bridge (looking back at it) near Farr hydro station

APDC8011.JPG
The track bends and goes up the hill, quite a lot of snow still in the shaded parts

Fortunately not too much traffic was on it; in the whole walk, there and back, a total of 5 pick-ups, 1 van and 2 lorries passed me, all drivers giving a friendly wave. It wasn't the most enjoyable of hill walks though. I went up the hill on the access road to where the track splits, left to the existing Farr windfarm and its dozens of wind turbines, right to the Glen Kyllachy construction site. I headed left, Carn na h-Easgainn in sight but a roundabout way to get to it going round the windfarm roads. Highlight of the walk was seeing a cheeky wee pine martin pop up onto the track 4 times to take a look at me , diving off into the ditches and heather as soon as I tried to get a photo.
APDC8013.JPG
This was about the nicest view on the walk up to the wind farm plateau

APDC8015.JPG
With hindsight, wished I'd gone up one of these hills today instead!

APDC8017.JPG
Heading into Farr wind farm

APDC8018.JPG
Tried to look at nice clouds to distract myself from the wind turbines!

APDC8019.JPG
Carn na h-Easgainn

Anyway, it was a much longer route than I thought going by the windfarm roads, (and a relief just to get on the smaller estate track to the summit) so by the time I got to the trig point, I just turned and headed back to get back to the car by dusk, wishing I'd started out a bit earlier and worn trainers instead of walking shoes!
APDC8020.JPG
One more turbine to pass...

APDC8021.JPG
...then just following the estate track across the moor to the summit

APDC8022.JPG
Even without the forest of wind turbines, it's not the most stunning of mountains!

APDC6500.JPG
Carn na h-Easgainn summit trig

APDC8023.JPG
Wind farm map - need to head for the ones numbered 4XX (on the right of this map) to get to the estate track to the summit, I took a couple of wrong turns on the way before I found the right way through

Not a route I'd recommend for walkers, but maybe okay for anyone fancies cycling up a graham.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Farr and away the most windfarmy route to Carn na h-Easg

Postby Jaxter » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:11 am

Enjoyed your comment about a dozen accents - Malky told me our last time up there was his 28th :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 am

Nice (sort of!) - I've long intended to do a big horseshoe using your route and a return over Beinn na Cailleach and Beinn Dubh...but somehow I have never managed to work up the enthusiasm! Sometime in the last 3 months would have been ideal but I don't think Jackie could currently handle the distance of 22+ km.

You are correct about the bike though - I did this a few years back and it made short work of the long, boring tracks:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43776

No idea if any of your tracks are more recent than the ones I used.

No doubt I'll hit that elusive 30th ascent sometime this year....
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:23 pm

We did this one in winter and using the shortest route from Lynebeg, nearly got frozen solid on the summit :lol: :lol:

malky_c wrote:No doubt I'll hit that elusive 30th ascent sometime this year....

Good luck with the 30th attempt! :D We have a similar thing with Carn na Coinnich, which is our closest Graham. Give us a few years and we'll hit 30 as well :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:266   Corbetts:179
Fionas:134   
Sub 2000:74   

Postby gld73 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:52 pm

From Lynebeg it's such an easy hill to nip out and do on a summer evening or a winter afternoon .... but maybe I haven't nipped out and done it enough, I'm still lagging well short of Malky's 28 ascents :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Jaxter » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:04 pm

gld73 wrote:From Lynebeg it's such an easy hill to nip out and do on a summer evening or a winter afternoon .... but maybe I haven't nipped out and done it enough, I'm still lagging well short of Malky's 28 ascents :lol:

I'm sure you're way ahead of my 6 or 7 (I've lost count!!) :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland