walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Steele's Knowe and associated tops

Steele's Knowe and associated tops

Postby colinwatson » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:12 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Steele's Knowe

Date walked: 25/03/2021

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A blustery day with lots of cloud and latterly, quite steady rain.

Parked up at Glen Sherup for the short walk down the road to the access road for the wind farm. I quickly left the track for a direct ascent of Ben Thrush, which was fine at this time of year, but the bracken would make this quite unpleasant in summer. This top was probably the most pleasant of the day, with a clear view of Loch Leven.

South from Ben Thrush.jpg
View south from Ben Thrush

From there, I pressed on to the 474 spot height, before being able to leave the noise of the turbines behind as I headed east. After a tea break, I walked over Sim's Hill to John's Hill. As it was not yet noon, I decided to add Corb Law to the day, although this did add a bit to the walk. On the way back, I visited Lamb Hill, before skirting John's Hill on my way to Steele's Knowe - which did look quite far away at this stage!

I was glad to take advantage of the track to get most of the way to the pristine trig on Steele's Knowe.

View east.jpg
East from Steele's Knowe

The walk back down the track was easy enough, although the weather was now turning steadily wetter and windier.
Attachments
Weather closing in.jpg
The weather coming in
colinwatson
Stravaiging

Munros:75   Corbetts:38
Fionas:44   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland