walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuc a ` Chroin

Stuc a ` Chroin

Postby steven65 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 05/03/2011

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 850m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my 3rd attempt at Stuc , success at last :) 1st attempt failed from Ben Vorlich due to poor weather & bad visibilty , same on 2nd attepmt from Coire Fhuadarich via Coire Buidhe.

I set off from home at 11am & picked up my mate Steven & his dad Davie in Menstrie ( we`re doing WHW together in May). On entering Callander you turn right up towards the golf club , passing this, & continuing past the car parks for the forrest walks area.
Then on through a metal gate , on the gate post is a sign advising of the bridge being”down” over Keltie Water. We continued on through another metal gate at a deer fence, then parked near Braeleny Farm. The tenant farmer asks if you can park just short of the farm at the turn off to Drumardoch Farm , there is an area there for 4/5 cars beside the wheelie bins.

At Braeleny Farm you climb over a locked wooden gate & onto a drovers track that climbs easily & leads onto the water crossing at Alt Breac-nic. This is where the bridge is down. An outflow from the reservoir joins the Alt Breac-nic here to form Keltie Water , the Army had been asked to build a new bridge after the old one was destroyed in storms / floods in 2004 , but at the moment you have to ford the 2 stretches of water.
In summer it would be possible to ford 1 stretch of water , but not at the moment , I wouldn`t
have wanted to cross if the water had been any higher :thumbdown:
Me fording Alt Breac -nic.......... a wee bit gingerly :lol:

Once across the water , the track is easily found again & passes by the old disused farm buildings at Arivurichardich.
Arivuvrichardich
Arivuvrichardich , closer now.

From here you climb steadily until about 400 meters , running alongside a boundary fence until you exit a metal gate on towards Coire Ban & Stiol nan Tarbh.

After exiting this gate we were in the cloud / mist & visibility was very poor , we proceeded onwards & upwards & as if by magic an older chap appeared from nowhere out of the mist- in a Mr. Ben like way ! :lol: We chatted briefly & he said things would improve greatly after a few hundred meters once we had reached the plateau leading onto Stuc. He was right.
Steven looking down into Coire na Rainich
Unfortunately there were no open views at all from here to the summit because of the cloud, but we could see there was a wee bit of snow remaining here & there. The last stretch up to the summit was taken with extra care as the rocks were a bit snowed over.
Sun trying to break through on summiting.
This was the most sun as we had all day !
Steven & Davie on the top of Stuc.
Me toasting the top with a wee nip of something nice.
Summit views again.
We didn`t stay too long on top as we were aware of the time , despite having head torches we didn`t fancy fording the water in the dark. Whilst having a quick coffee & snack before returning , we heard voices approaching & waited a few minutes before 2 climbers appeared.
They had came up the scramble route in the cloud , explaining that as they came up they had
passed 2 climbers going down , 1 of whom had suffered nasty facial injuries in a fall on the scramble – but was at least making his own way off the hill. Hopefully he`s fit & well.

We made good progress coming down, coming off the plateau down towards Coire Ban.
At about 650 meters the cloud cleared away very nicely, giving good views over Gleann a` Chroin , towards Beinn Each & the back of Callander Craig / Crags , & the reservoir below.

We now had a clearer view of things & because of the time factor decided to cut across the dam / reservoir walkway & cut through the fields. This would make the return a wee bit shorter. But would mean only 1 water crossing instead of 2 we had taken on the outward way.
This worked out fine as there were styles over the fenced fields.
Davie fording water on way out :shock: – looks very dark in foto but was actually MUCH lighter :)
Once through the field we rejoined the track out & were back at the car in no time at all
A well earned pint at The Crags Hotel in Callander before home.
Steven had his GPS on for the outward route , details viewable on link below – but due to battery death the return route wasn`t calculated.

Overall another very enjoyable , but demanding day out.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/sAovmAN2Wy4
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Stuc a ` Chroin

Postby yokehead » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Congrats on getting up there on the 3rd attempt even though the weather still wasn't great. :thumbup: Like the tentative river crossing, always fun! I'm the same, reckon I need to just wade through and not think too much! :lol:

A fine hill is the Stuc, I went up the rocky bit but in good viz and with snow, as you say hope the guy was ok.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby csjoiner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 am

Well done mate!!!
csjoiner
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Stuart Angus » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Went up yesterday and took your report with us for back up! Had a clear day with blistering sunshine but the crossing at Alt Breac-nic was still a little challenging but muddled on and made it up and back! :) Your report made a big difference and just wanted to say thanks.

Stuart

(Just a pity you didn't get a view :( )
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland