walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Càrn an Fhreiceadain and Creag Bheag from Kingussie

Càrn an Fhreiceadain and Creag Bheag from Kingussie

Postby gld73 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:35 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn an Fhreiceadain

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Creag Bheag (Kingussie)

Date walked: 29/03/2021

Time taken: 4.6 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 930m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather not great, so changed my plans to do a couple of new sub2ks in the area when I finished on call in the morning, and did the usual fall-back route of Càrn an Fhreiceadain from the hotel again seeing as it's on a track all the way - no tramping through boggy ground after recent rain, and no getting lost in the low cloud. Gynack Burn was a torrent of water, much more than usual. Hardly any snow left on the route so very different to when I did it last month, made good time doing the Càrn an Fhreiceadain circular route (did it anti-clockwise for a change) and didn't feel at all tired, so rather than go straight back to the car in Kingussie, I did a detour across the Gynack Burn on the footbridge at the golf course, headed into the woods and followed the path up and over Creag Beag. Views down to the valley showed the Spey had burst its banks, the elevated A9 staying dry above flooded fields near Ruthven Barracks. Dropped back down following the path down the south side into the village and back to the car. Nice easy route but with a good amount of distance and elevation, no doubt I'll do it again whenever the weather is too wet and/or cloudy for anything else.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland