walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pennan Farm from the B9031

Pennan Farm from the B9031

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Date walked: 25/03/2021

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 40m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Pennan farm always catches the eye and I must have actually walked through it a few years ago on a walk from Aberdour to Pennan but it obviously wasn't a memorable experience or maybe I was disappointed by comparing it with the equivalent walk along the clifftops which is quite spectacular.
Anyway, this time round it was a bit more memorable. Only a short walk though, from a starting point on the B9031 that is directly south of the farm.

First photo of the day was actually of a bee in the garden, the first I've seen this year.

I'm a bit fascinated by views of Tap o' Noth and the Buck when they appear close to each other.

It is also interesting to be followed round Aberdeenshire by Ben Rinnes. The backroad from Turriff to Gardenstown climbs to 170m and yields a good view of the hills from Bennachie to Bin of Cullen.

The less aesthetically pleasing Knock Hill.

It is a bit grey to start with and a bit cold too. View over Pennan Bay.

Joining the WH route from Aberdour to Pennan.

The next Pennan sign has seen better days.

A pleasant, grassy section follows but without any views of note.

Bin of Cullen on the horizon.

The light is interesting. I find I can conveniently alter the exposure by tilting the camera above and below the top of the horizon cloud. It makes me wonder if there is some sort of firmware contrast stretch. It also makes me wonder about the idea of several people looking at the same view or thing but seeing much different things or even just slightly different things. At which point is there a consensus, I wonder.

More Head with Spey Bay beyond.

Troup Head from near Pennan Farm.

The ruined farmhouse.

Setting sun finding a gap in the cloud.

Bin of Cullen and More Head.

The stile leading to the continuation path down to Pennan.

The air clears a bit and the Sutherland hills become visible.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland