walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Càrn a' Choire Ghairbh, Affric corbett

Càrn a' Choire Ghairbh, Affric corbett

Postby gld73 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:27 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 03/04/2021

Time taken: 6.1 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The one day with good weather forecast for my days off, so took the chance to go to Affric seeing as it'll be mobbed in a month once 'stay local' restrictions are lifted. Didn't set off early enough to do the 2 corbetts, so parked in the rough ground between the walkers car park and the main Glen Affric car park just to add an extra mile to the walk.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Took the track along the south side of Loch Affic for a few km, then when more or less opposite the wee bothy/hut on the ground below, took the grassy, boggy path which zig zags up the hill. Fantastic views across Loch Affric and down the glen, not a cloud in the sky.

The path ends eventually, but no visibility or route-finding issues in these conditions, just continued up to the right for about 1.5km approx. Eventually the actual high point came into view, with its cairn. Good views over to Glenshiel munros I've done before. Also a nice view of the route to the other corbett, Aonach Shasuinn, which could be done with this one, but the snow melt and recent rain meant ground conditions were pretty wet so I didn't fancy the wet peat hags in the bealach, never mind cutting it fine on time with my tardy start. I'll do it as a stand alone hill another time. so returned more or less the same way as I'd come up today. Managed to lose the grassy path twice, but just headed down steep ground instead. Surprised to find an antler on the path at one point, it hadn't been there 3 or 4 hours earlier when I'd come up. Nobody else on this hill today, but I had seen a few deer.
APDC8120.JPG
View to north side of Loch Affric, heading west along the track

APDC8122.JPG
View west down Glen Affric

APDC8124.JPG
Càrn a' Choire Ghairbh, Summit cairn

APDC8125.JPG
A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

APDC8126.JPG
View north

APDC8127.JPG
Sail Chaorainn I think?

APDC8128.JPG
Compared to the snow topped Glenshiel and Affric munros, it's a pretty unexciting view to the other corbett, Aonach Shasuinn

Glen Affric - Loch Affric pano.JPG
On the way back down, pano of the northern side of Glen Affric

APDC8131.JPG
Nice bonus, finding an antler, I know a couple of dogs who'll like that as a present

Nice walk, a few people doing the Loch Affric circuit on the track, but no-one else doing Càrn a' Choire Ghairbh today. Even with the supposed 'stay local' and no overnighters rules there were a few motorhomes, campervans, caravans and tents around today, but at least the single track glen road was quiet when I drove it each way.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland