walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Escape to Brimmond Hill & part of the WOT

Escape to Brimmond Hill & part of the WOT

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:59 pm

Date walked: 03/04/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 325m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

GordonC had decided to wander up our local hill to celebrate the Covid restrictions easing from " House" to "Local", so he invited me to accompany him.
It should be noted that GC had been cheating during the lockdown by continuing regular local walks, while I had vegetated in a blubberous torpor, eating everthing in sight !
However this was a good chance to see if my legs still worked, so I accepted and we headed off to the north up the street. Normally, I'd have taken my phone to record our track, but since Viewranger had merged with OutdoorActive, the phone app had become useless for tracking. How a perfectly good app could be screwed up so badly by incorporating it into another platform is beyond me!
However GordonC had his trusty Garmin, so - nae bother. ( GC actually knew the route by heart, so really no need for any nav-ing devices.)
Outbound, we took the southerly route to the"Blackburn" road , L to the West car park at the bottom of Brimmond Hill then by the direct path to the top of the hill.
A glorious day, with lots of people getting out for a breath of fresh air !

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The loopy route round the S side of the hill was taken off the hill and then the northerly leg across the fields, first up the Northside road before cutting across the grass fields through a couple of gates to intersect the South Craigston road at the bend in front of Northside. ( on a previous walk in the last century, one could follow the track past Northside - at that time derelict.
It's now someones' house with the property fenced off, including braw gates at the end of the drive - so no way through there now. )

GC top o Brimmond.JPG
GordonC at the top o Brimmond

Top o Brimmond.JPG
The top o Brimmond

GB top o Brimmond.JPG
GordonB at the top o Brimmond

GB descending from Brimmond.JPG
GB on the loopy descent from Brimmond

The Westhill Orbital Trail

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd promised to go with M to explore part of the new Westhill Orbital Trail. So after a cup of tea and a rest we set off towards the Westhill "Monument" near the entrance roundabout to the village. The signpost directed us down the N side of the burn, but I could see a path that had been hewn through the wood on the opposte bank. I decided to go through the wood but M persevered down the grassy bank on the other side of the burn. Luckily there's a grassy "bridge" over the burn where it flows through a section of concrete sewer pipe allowing us to join forces again.. The path continues around the Lawsondale playing fields through the woods at first, to the Brodiach road. We walked up past Taylors Farm and the side of Kinmundy House, then turned left to see if there was an exit to the park at the top of Kinmundy Hill.
Nope - nothing yet without jumping the gates into the field.

M took some pics on the way home........

Grazing multicoloured sheep.jpg
Grazing sheep at the high part of WOT

View to the south from the path.jpg
A view to the south from the high part of WOT

wild flowers near Kinmundy House.jpg
Wild flowers beside Kinmundy House

Retreated to the house and some Tea
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland