walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stac na Cathaig - the easy way

Stac na Cathaig - the easy way

Postby Jaxter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:45 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Stac na Cathaig

Date walked: 13/03/2021

Time taken: 1.31 hours

Distance: 4.32 km

Ascent: 208m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been trying to work in the morning but it was looking like we could get out for a short stroll in between the showers....they key was "in-between" because as we pulled up, this happened, which didn't really inspire us to get out... :crazy:

However, eventually the rain and sleet seemed to disappear, and although it was still fairly overcast and dreich we thought we'd better get going before the next shower hit :lol:

Across the road to Stac Gorm

Not very inviting, but not actually tanking down with rain!

Stac na Cathaig is a small Marilyn a few miles from the house - we'd both visited this hill separately as part of longer bike rides, and on my way down had discovered that there was a really easy route (it did take me crawling through plantations and getting up to my knees in bog to find it :lol: ) so we headed up the nice track, hoping that it wouldn't start raining again just yet....

It was slow going but at last we saw some blue sky ahead - this was encouraging 8)

Plodding was hard - I was tired and my coordination seemed to be all over the place which meant even walking on a track was hard work. Eventually we arrived at a big metal gate (unlocked) and the "bridge" which was slippery but passable without incident :lol:

Looking down to Loch a' Choire

We followed the fence and a sort of path through the trees - it was a bit squishy underfoot due to all the rain, but nothing too serious and I got through unscathed in my trail shoes. We popped out the end of the trees into a firebreak - there was a sort of path but the ground was good enough for it not to matter too much

As we came out the top of the fire break we were onto heather, although not too thick, and there were traces of a path too. We could see bits of Loch Duntelchaig and the steep-sided Carn a' Bhodaich the other side of Loch Ness

Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard with a lot of snow on it

The edge of the Monadhliath hills

Soon we were on the summit - and the views were fantastic 8) We could see towards Inverness and the firth

Looking south - some interesting weather on the way :shock:

Looking West - Loch Duntelchaig and the hills beyond Loch Ness

Looking East - snowy Monadhliath

Loch Duntelchaig and the snowy hills beyond - we were yet again reminded how lucky we are to have this on our doorstep, and also that small hills can be awesome too 8)

Exhausted but happy to have made it

There was some pretty nasty weather in the south that looked like it was headed our way, and we weren't keen for it to catch us in the open! We headed slowly back down, picking up more of a path this time

Back down the fire break - the wee trees had been planted since I was last here, but only a small section of the firebreak so shouldn't cause too much issue even once they've grown a bit!

Back at the track it was a straight forward plod back, but I was making very hard work of it. Fortunately it looked like the nasty weather had managed to miss us as the sun was still out!

Looking back up the forest

Back at the car, Stac Gorm and Loch Ruthven were looking a bit more attractive than earlier!

It seemed we had timed it well because as we drove home we were hit by an incredibly heavy shower of hail stones :lol:
Attachments

activity_6423527093.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland