walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Highest Point in Inverclyde, Creuch Hill

The Highest Point in Inverclyde, Creuch Hill

Postby geoconaly » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:22 pm

Date walked: 09/04/2021

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3.9 km

Ascent: 178m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few weeks ago I came up with a lockdown induced idea to climb to the highest point in every Scottish Council Area within the year. The only problem is that the lockdown is still in effect so I cant travel out with North Ayrshire or at least couldn't until the 5th of April when new rules were implemented meaning you can travel 5miles outwith your council area as long as its for exercise. This opened up 3 potential hills for me to complete: Goatfell (North Ayrshire), The Hill of Stake (Renfrewshire) and Creuch Hill (Inverclyde) all of which are within the 5-mile border-radius. The only question now was to decide which to complete first, I opted to leave Goatfell for later on in the summer until nice weather and take a week off a make an entire week of exploring Arran and its hills. That left only Creuch Hill and the Hill of Stake, of which I opted to go for Creuch hill.

Link to a map containing all the highest points and those that I've done:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=10AdI35qWx1da_QlGtO_rrNmzygu8LyLP&usp=sharing

Having done research beforehand on a possible route up the hill, I had made a gpsx route using the OS Maps website, the route was supposed to follow landrover tracks about a third of the way up the hill, but alas they were practically non-existent when I got there. This left me having to wade through the swampy moorland getting covered in mud in the process.

Having been to Clyde Muirshiel Park many times before and always being sorta disappointed with the views from the inland hills, I wasn't expecting much from this small hill sitting at only 441metes tall but once I got to the summit I was pleasantly surprised with near panoramic views in every direction bar SW.

The Isle of Arran

Loch Thom, the River Clyde and The Highlands

More Highlands

And lastly and artsy smartsy black and white photograph of Arran
Attachments

Creuch Hill (Inverclyde).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

geoconaly
Wanderer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:17

Re: The Highest Point in Inverclyde, Creuch Hill

Postby WeeHills » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm

The track you were looking for was rather obliterated by works to remove pylons from Duchal Moor back in November unfortunately. If it's any consolation it wasn't great to start with, Creuch Hill has always been one for aficionados of a good bog stomp. Cracking views on a good day mind.
WeeHills

Postby geoconaly » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 pm

WeeHills wrote:The track you were looking for was rather obliterated by works to remove pylons from Duchal Moor back in November unfortunately. If it's any consolation it wasn't great to start with, Creuch Hill has always been one for aficionados of a good bog stomp. Cracking views on a good day mind.

That makes a lot of sense, when I was looking at the route on my gps, I did see the OS maps still had those power lines on it and was very confused when they weren't there.
geoconaly
Wanderer

Postby iangpark » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:54 am

Nice work and some marvellous shots! I too am on a Scottish council tops mission and am really not far off now. Creuch Hill was a great little hill (and was my local top) - fortunately the track I used was still there when I went up - but it was a hell of a slog from Hill of Stake.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby geoconaly » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:28 pm

iangpark wrote:Nice work and some marvellous shots! I too am on a Scottish council tops mission and am really not far off now. Creuch Hill was a great little hill (and was my local top) - fortunately the track I used was still there when I went up - but it was a hell of a slog from Hill of Stake.

Thanks.

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one mental enough to come up with the idea of climbing all the council tops. I did have a look online to see if anyone had done it before but couldn't find any public record of it.

I've got the Hill of Stake planned out for Friday so I'm hoping it stays dryish until then so that it's not a complete swamp.
geoconaly
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland