walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beware the potholes on the way to Beinn nan Eun

Beware the potholes on the way to Beinn nan Eun

Postby Strathlassie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:07 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn nan Eun

Date walked: 11/04/2021

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 29 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was quite good for this morning and so we decided on Beinn nan Eun, a hill we'd wanted to climb in December but when we got there we'd decided it was too cold. So instead we'd cycled along Loch Glass and up to the start of the walk, had our flask of coffee and cycled back. Today was no warmer! The difference between today and December was that the last part of the road up to the gate house had badly deteriorated over the winter and avoiding the potholes was a challenge.

We set off on our bikes, it was two degrees, ice on the ground. The cycle up the glen was pleasant enough. Not a person in site. I'm always amazed to see the pink house on the shores of the loch - it's apparently never been lived in as the owners didn't get planning permission for it. There wasn't a soul about at Wyvis Lodge - in December the place had been full of workmen frantically preparing it for the arrival of the owners. Soon enough we parked our bikes beneath an old tree and carried on walking over the bridge and to the dam. I always find it difficult to start walking after being on my bike - I don't think I could ever do the Highland Cross! From here we headed across the frozen ground. This was a real slog through the fresh snow. But it was worth it as the views from the top were amazing - the Fannichs in all their splendour, Seana Braigh and of course the little seen corries of Ben Wyvis. I always enjoy lunch at the cairn - always the same food but always tasting delicious.

One of the things I love about being out at the moment is that you can just be at one with nature - leave all the dreary news behind and simply be.

On the way back it seemed that everyone was out looking for the wild boars - I've never seen so many people on a track.

A great hill on a lovely day when the bad weather that was forecasted never arrived. :D

3.jpg
The summit cairn

5.jpg
The dam

2.jpg
The path up to the dam

1.jpg
A long way to go without a bike
Strathlassie
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:116
Fionas:108   Donalds:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland