walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach, words don't do it justice.

An Teallach, words don't do it justice.

Postby lowflyer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:22 pm

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 12/04/2021

Time taken: 11.3 hours

Distance: 19 km

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PSX_20210413_093048.jpg
As with most other hill-walkers, An Teallach has been on the proverbial "bucket list" for many a year. So suddenly, the chance appeared, the weather looked good and Covid restrictions permitted.
I arrived at Corrie Hallie layby on the A832 and set off at 0600hrs. Sunrise was at 0619 and I wanted to walk the route in a clockwise circuit with the rising sun to my back. I set off at a fairly brisk pace and the ground underfoot was good along the track. At Coire Chaorachain the snow on the ground became ankle to shin deep and slowed me down a little but upon reaching the cairn where the track forks,I rested momentarily and the view of the snowy landscape ahead was wonderful.
I veered right and plodded up directly to the sloping plateau of Sail Liath. It was now that I put my crampons on as the snow had an icy crust on it.
There were tracks in the snow, although not fresh and I wondered on the wisdom of following them, always wary of following someone who might not be correct. In this instance though it was quite apparent that we would have been on the same wavelength.
On past Stob Cadha Gobhlach and up to Corrag Bhuidhe, the views were spectacular in all directions and I stopped more than I intended just to soak up the views. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
The challenge of Sgurr Fiona lay ahead and I must confess that I approached it with mild apprehension at first. However as I negotiated the the twists and turns of the outcrops I was emboldened by the crampons and ice axe. Steady as she goes, every footfall carefully anticipated.
The track of my "ghostly" scouts diverted into two routes, one directly up toward the peak, the other circumnavigating it. I chose the latter as I know my limitations. That said , this "safer" route had its challenges and after weighing up my options, I ventured up a snow gully using the ice axe and digging in heavily with the crampons. The sun had been out most of the time and was slowly melting some of the snow. I became intensely aware of avalanche risk and didn't loiter around on this stretch. Lord Berkeley's seat was not even an option.
Sgurr Fiona completed and the marvelous panorama was something to behold. The Fisherfield range was amazing. A beautiful silence and as far as I could tell there was not another soul on the hill today. After some food and drink I continued on down the slope, constantly looking up to Bidein a Ghlas Thuill.
Again I was mesmerised by the views and the spectacular drop down to Loch Toll an Lochain. Upon this summit I looked out north to the Summer Isles. The trig point was frozen on the north side indicating the normally harsh prevailing wind, but today I was fortunate as the wind was calm.
My intention had been to venture down the north side of Glas Mheall Mor but I was tiring now and recalculated a route down GlasTholl that would take me out onto the main road a little bit nearer my car.
And so, I packed everything into my rucksack, no loose ends hanging off, cleared my crampons of balled snow and took the ice axe in hand. This descent looked daunting and as I gingerly proceeded down I realised that this area had been in total shade and was rather icy. The inevitable happened and one misplaced step, perhaps aided by fatigue, caused me to slip. It was so sudden that I could not self belay in time. After sliding down about 10 metres I managed to arrest myself with the ice axe. I had kept my feet off the ground for fear of the crampons catching and doing injury and luckily I had avoided some of the larger rocks.
This was one of these moments when on the mountain that you fear that you will come to grief and I had a good long wait until I composed myself.
The ensuing descent was cautious to say the least and when I got below the snow line and removed the crampons, the swampy marshland for once was a welcome relief.
Staying to the left of the river, Allt a Ghlas Thuill, I squelched onwards to the waterfall at Garbh Allt. A path of some description appears here but it took me a few goes to navigate through the woodland and shrubs to finally reach the road. A ten minute walk and I was back at the car.
In conclusion, I would not have missed this day for the world. I had some minor cuts and bruising to my left arm, had ripped my rucksack and lost my sunglasses (blue sungods if anyone finds them) This was a very personal achievement on a day which had the difficulties of a winter climb but with the benefit of more daylight hours.
Attachments
PSX_20210413_092743.jpg
P1150027.jpg
PSX_20210413_092620.jpg
PSX_20210412_212601.jpg
PSX_20210412_212220.jpg
PSX_20210413_093709.jpg
PSX_20210413_093602.jpg
PSX_20210413_091947.jpg
PSX_20210413_092108.jpg
PSX_20210413_093350.jpg
PSX_20210413_093454.jpg
PSX_20210413_092231.jpg
PSX_20210413_092817.jpg
PSX_20210413_093008.jpg
Last edited by lowflyer on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
lowflyer

Re: An Teallach, words don't do it justice.

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Stunning photos of one of my favourite hills

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby matt_outandabout » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am

A stunning day on the hill - we are due to be up there this summer, I expect with more company than you had...!
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby lowflyer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:30 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Stunning photos of one of my favourite hills

Tim

I'm not surprised that it is one of your favourites. It's awesome. Wish I had done it sooner.

Gordon
lowflyer

Postby lowflyer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:34 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:A stunning day on the hill - we are due to be up there this summer, I expect with more company than you had...!

If you find my sunglasses, let me know :) I truly hope that you get a fine weather window when you come up and hopefully it won't be as busy as you might think. Enjoy.

Gordon
lowflyer

Postby AJ01 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:19 am

It's a great feeling to push yourself to the limits of your capabilities (and perhaps a bit beyond your comfort zone) and find that you can cope with the hazards, make good judgements about safety, and get down off the mountain having had a wonderful day. I've done that, too.

Superb conditions, superb mountain, superb photos.

Angus
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby lowflyer » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:44 pm

AJ01 wrote:It's a great feeling to push yourself to the limits of your capabilities (and perhaps a bit beyond your comfort zone) and find that you can cope with the hazards, make good judgements about safety, and get down off the mountain having had a wonderful day. I've done that, too.

Superb conditions, superb mountain, superb photos.

Angus

Absolutely spot on Angus. Appreciate your comments.
Gordon.
lowflyer

Postby Louisewalks » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:17 pm

What a great hill report :clap: . Beautiful pictures to inspire until I make it across that way.
Louisewalks
Hill Bagger

Munros:164   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:17   Islands:10

Postby lowflyer » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 am

Louisewalks wrote:What a great hill report :clap: . Beautiful pictures to inspire until I make it across that way.

Thanks. It was just one of those lucky days. Hope you get to pay a visit soon. 👍🏻
lowflyer

Postby AJ01 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:37 pm

Congratulations on winning Walk Report of the Month - well deserved. :clap:
Angus
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby lowflyer » Mon May 03, 2021 10:01 am

AJ01 wrote:Congratulations on winning Walk Report of the Month - well deserved. :clap:
Angus

Thank you Angus, I am quite humbled by it.
lowflyer

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland