walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Superb hike

Superb hike

Postby TomasMatulaitis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:31 pm

Route description: Monega Hill and Glas Maol round from Glen Isla

Munros included on this walk: Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Corbetts included on this walk: Monamenach

Date walked: 11/04/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 20.75 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Amazing hike, yet again I am amazed what a spectacular views are all over Scotland. Originating from completely flat country (more flat than Netherlands!!!) I appreciate every curve, every glen, every hill, every law.
Note. One should check weather forecast in a particular hike area. I checked it only in Dundee and assumed that it should be the same here - oh, silly me :D So I came under-dressed and the wind was so cold! And the higher you climb, the worse it gets. Oh well, nobody else to blame. But all things end well, I am blessed with long legs and my regular walking speed is 5 mph, so catalyzed by this cold wind I did this hike in 5h! :D While it is supposed to take 7-7.5h :D And I even had 2 (not so long) snack/lunch breaks in the meantime :D
Well, what can I say, the views are breathtaking. Even in the beginning, when you start seeing the huge valley in front of you (prior start ascending the Monega Hill). And all the views upon climbing Monega... The summit opens up 360 panorama, which is... I should probably stop praising Scottish Beauty, 'cause everywhere I go, it's just too beautiful! :D
Glas Maol was fully covered in frozen snow - amazing peak. Also, on the way to Glas Maol there is this huge valley on the right hand side.... Amazing. Tomas, stop praising! :D
Creag Leacach itself is very interesting, so rocky. Can inspire one a lot on various thoughts. On the lower peak near it the rocks provided great shelter from the wind, so I had my lunch there and started descending. In the meantime got caught up by dozen of blitz snowstorms, but the views were spectacular.
The final peak - Monamenach was indeed "the killer", as it was written in the original walk description, but how they say - what doesn't kill us, ... :)
So if anyone would ever read this - I definitely recommend this hike! If you are like me - a beginner, then go any time of the year, but winter.
TomasMatulaitis
Wanderer

Munros:153   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland