walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Zena goes solo on Mount Battock (eagle sighting too!)

Zena goes solo on Mount Battock (eagle sighting too!)

Postby KatTai » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:46 pm

Route description: Mount Battock from Glen Esk

Corbetts included on this walk: Mount Battock

Date walked: 15/04/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 775m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

1.JPG

With Moss retired from hills, it was finally time for Zena to step out the shadows and take the lead out bagging herself another Corbett - Mount Battock. It wasn't easy setting out without Moss who has been my hiking companion for 5 years :cry: This was Millie's first hill without Fly too nearly 6 years ago, and also the first one Moss did after Coinneach got sacked though she went up via Clachnaben.

24.JPG
Zena

It's not a complicated route with a clear track pretty much all the way up. Without the influence of the others, Zena was a wonderfully calm companion. It would have been a boring walk had it not being for this:

4.JPG

7.JPG

21.JPG

Interestingly I saw a Golden Eagle the last time I was up Mount Battock too! Other sightings were ring ouzel, a red kite confusingly without the distinctive forked tail (guessing it is moulting), skylark, meadow pipit, red grouse, red-legged partridge, lapwing, oystercatcher, golden plover, common lizard and I think a swallow!

29.JPG
Golden Plover

Something to watch out for if you have dogs is a cattle grid at the gate at stage 3 in the route description, I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I went up with Millie and the style at the side is not easy for dogs to use. No problem for Zena, she was able to jump across but something to bear in mind if you have a larger dog that doesn't like doing long jump!

IMG_3987.JPG
cattle grid

We reached the summit with its double windshelter and trig point, bit too hazy for good views but could see across to Bennachie and Lochnagar which still held onto a bit of snow.

35.JPG
Summit photo

40.JPG
Zena posing

Our return was the same way, while the route description for the alternative descent mentions a fence not posing difficulties to cross I wasn't sure if that would include for the dog as well. On the way down we met a few other people heading up. I could have probably left it another half hour before setting off, but given the car park was full when I returned was glad I hadn't left it to chance and got there early!

42.JPG
Having a cool down in the ford
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Zena goes solo on Mount Battock (eagle sighting too!)

Postby onsen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:43 pm

For me, the animal sightings along the way make a outing even better. Nice walk.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Jim777 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:47 pm

It makes me jealous when I see you with your dogs. My last one ( Sheba ) did about 150 Munro’s and just over 100 Corbets. I know it shouldn’t matter but I do wish I could find myself a new collie companion.

D299DD7D-5DE9-45C2-ACE2-710C2E72D45F.jpeg
Sheba
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby KatTai » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Jim777 wrote:It makes me jealous when I see you with your dogs. My last one ( Sheba ) did about 150 Munro’s and just over 100 Corbets. I know it shouldn’t matter but I do wish I could find myself a new collie companion.

D299DD7D-5DE9-45C2-ACE2-710C2E72D45F.jpeg

What a beautiful dog! Zena is my 5th full collie, hopefully she will get many more hills under her belt!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland